Chapter 17

IXILLIUS SHOULDERED THE light kit he'd packed and stepped out of his tent into the cold of the pre-dawn morning. He didn't bother to try to hide his steps as he strode between the tents, any attempt at stealth would draw more attention than walking as if he was supposed to be there. He paused as he neared the edge of camp, quickly scanning the fortifications and confirming that all was correct before moving forward again.

        He was almost surprised as a shadow detached from the tents and matched his strides toward the sentry. Unlike Ixillius, Brasus stepped silently in the soft snow. The Legionnaire on watch stopped them and scanned through the orders from Verus they both produced. He handed back the orders and stood away from the gate, allowing them to pass without a word being spoken.

        They passed the Auxiliary at a slow run, a pace that Ixillius knew he and Brasus could keep for days, even with as little sleep as they'd had, due to how lightly they were traveling. He felt strange knowing he was going toward a hostile force with no armor, but this was admittedly easier for running. And he hoped that Verus was right, that they would appear less threatening on arrival, and could play at being deserters if questioned along the way. Ixillius glanced at the grim set to Brasus's jaw and, knowing his own angled the same, he doubted anything could help them appear less threatening or less like the Legionnaires they were.

        A man stepped out of the trees to their left. He and Brasus drew their swords, turning as one and locking shoulders. The man held up empty hands, clear to see in the lightly clouded moonlight.

        "You're going back for the Lady?" a young voice asked and Brasus scoffed and sheathed his sword.

        "Go back to your tent, Dario," the Optio ordered.

        "You'll need a bowman," the young man said, his tone defiant, and Ixillius sheathed his own sword after recognizing one of the Auxiliaries that Alex had been training. "I can help."

        "We won't wait for you," Ixillius growled.

        He turned and started at the same pace in the direction they'd been traveling. Brasus fell back in step with him, shaking his head but not arguing, and the young bowman joined slightly behind. Ixillius expected the young Auxiliaryman to tire and drop away after an hour or so, but the youth stayed at their pace. The trio stopped long enough to eat just past midday, Ixillius choosing to break so that they would eat easier and maintain their strength longer.

        "I'm surprised at you," Brasus told Dario as they re-shouldered their kits and the archer simply shrugged.

        "I never took to horses," Dario replied, not bothering to elaborate.

        They settled into the same pace after the cold meal. Ixillius was determined to backtrack a good deal past where they'd been encamped when they'd been attacked, but not at the expense of running all of them so hard that they'd be useless in a fight. The hot knot of worry, rage and fear that squeezed his gut and snaked around his heart did little but fuel the cold planning and calculations running through his mind. On receiving the order from Verus last night he was a single fighter, now he had a vicious hunter and what he hoped was a decent bowman with him, both seeming in good condition. If Verus's idea didn't work, Ixillius had more than one secondary option for going after Alex, and now suicide might not be involved.

        Late in the afternoon, they passed where Verus had ordered abandoned anything that wasn't immediately useful and were able to trade and resupply their food from deserters and scavengers as expected. The trio paid the required respects to the still-burning pyres before moving on. The time was well past dark before they stopped for the night. After another cold meal, they bedded as best they could and immediately fell asleep. The only thing that Ixillius heard enough to wake up for was Brasus lying down again, and only because the Optio was cursing at thieves under his breath.