_______________________________________________
D A N C I N G
WITH THE
D E V I L
____________________________________________________

Sitting at the dinner table that night, I didn't feel very hungry at all. I sat there picking at my food, while my brother, Matt went on and on about the goal he had scored at footy training that afternoon. As if I was interested in his football game! I really don't like football at all and was so glad that I didn't have to suffer being dragged along to his training sessions and games anymore. Finally, I'm old enough to stay at home on my own, rather than facing boredom at the football field every weekend.

My parents however, both love football, especially my dad and they took great interest in Matt's conversation about the season and how well his team are doing in the competition. In a way though, I was glad they had something to occupy them which took their attention away from me as I really didn't feel like talking about the day I'd had.

Morning tea break had consisted of me having to sit at my desk eating the food from my lunchbox, while doing extra Math. That was my punishment for not listening during the morning's lesson. Then when I was finally allowed to go out, Millie and I had to attend a meeting for the committee in charge of the musical. We were asked to report on the progress of the dances we've been choreographing and practicing. Then we were informed of a dress rehearsal which was scheduled for two weeks' time and were given information to distribute to everyone.

So overall, it hadn't been the best of days. Although Sara had maintained her friendly manner and continued as if everything were normal, I wasn't so sure. Well, in the scheme of things, I guess everything was ok and I wondered if it were all in my imagination. Was I just being jealous and immature? And was I being a total control freak? Even though I had organized the dances and the choreography, along with Millie's help, it didn't mean that I had to be in charge of our group's dance.

Sara is an exceptional dancer, and I really have to admit that she is very talented. I should be grateful for her support and the way in which our routine has improved since she joined us. But I just couldn't shake the uneasy feeling that I had been overcome with since arriving at rehearsal that morning.

With a dejected sigh, I excused myself from the table under the pretext that I had homework to complete. Luckily my mom was still so absorbed in Matt's excited ramblings that she neglected to remind me it was my turn to do the dishes.

I headed up to my room and tried to concentrate on the homework that was due the following day. More Math! That was certainly not what I felt like doing, but rather than having to face the wrath of my teacher the following morning, I forced myself to concentrate so I could just get it over with.

When I turned out the light a couple of hours later and hopped into bed, I decided that the next day I would join in with everyone else and focus on a good rehearsal. "I'm not going to let Sara bother me," I thought to myself as I closed my eyes. "I'll just be my usual friendly self and I'm sure that everything will be fine!"

We had the school musical to look forward to and it was the highlight of the year so far. I was determined that nothing was going to spoil it!