Chapter 8 - Chica Bom Bom → Ridin' ✔

Whatever explosives they'd used, it wasn't enough to completely destroy my parents' penthouse or the building in which it was situated, but as Lucas casually pulled me down a nearby hallway, I could clearly see the damage it was causing. Amidst the chaos and screams as everyone scrambled toward the fire escape—too frightened to take the elevator—Lucas was perfectly calm, and I clung to his hand as he pulled me up a set of stairs. Behind me, I could hear my father's voice rising above everyone else as he called for his security to go after us, and then another explosion split through the night.

Lucas moved quickly to maximize the time when the guards would be disoriented, and we reached the second floor without mishap. As we trotted down the dark hallway, however, a figure sprang out of the shadows in front of us, and releasing a curse, Lucas took a few quick steps backwards, pushing me behind him. Recognition settled into my brain as the slight figure raised a finger to her lips.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you." She said softly.

"Elyssa?" I breathed, shaking free of Lucas's grasp and reaching out a hand toward her.

"We don't have much time." I could hear the tears in her voice. "I just wanted to see you for a moment before you left again."

"I'm sorry, Lyss. I—If I'd taken you with me last time..." I started, tears flooding my vision.

"Don't. I know." She grabbed my hand. "I'll be leaving the house soon, anyway. Dad struck some deal with one of his business partners. I'm getting married in a month." Her voice was small, reminding me of the child she'd been when I'd left home.

Shock raced through me. Our father had always been very open with his joy at having two daughters who would be able to make advantageous matches to further his business, but the thought had hardly crossed my mind that he'd actually do that to my baby sister. Being sold off to the highest bidder was hardly going to make for a happy marriage, and there was no telling what sort of man she'd be stuck with.

"I guess you haven't heard yet." She cleared her throat. "They're waiting to make the public announcement until a couple weeks before the wedding to make it seem like some romantic, fairytale type of love story."

"Who—?"

"Poongho." She struggled to utter the name.

I raised my brows in shock. Years ago, our father had brought Kim Poongho home to meet with me for a possible future match, and I remembered complaining to my sister in secret that I didn't want to marry some ugly, old man. That had been over ten years ago, so there was no telling what he looked like now, but regardless, he had to be almost twenty years older than my sister. My grip tightened on her hand for a moment as I warred within myself over what I should do.

"You need to go." She whispered trying to pull free of my grasp. "I just wanted to have a moment with you when we didn't have all those eyes on us."

"Lucas." I half turned to look at him without releasing my sister. "I—" I wasn't sure how to go about phrasing the question. "Can—I'll make sure it's no trouble, so could—"

"You don't need to ask, baby." He said. "But she's right: we need to hurry."

"Lyss, come with us." I turned back to her quickly.

"What?" She drew back slightly. "But he's—you're gangsters. How can I?"

"It's either that or stay and marry Poongho." I said. "We don't have time to argue about it. A 'yes' or 'no' is all we need." I prayed she'd agree, because I couldn't find it within myself to leave her behind a second time—even if that meant staying here to face our father alongside her.