Chapter 17 - Back 2 U (AM 01:27) ✔

"I don't think that goes there..." Johnny's slightly concerned voice was muffled, but it woke me all the same.

A stream of giggles followed before: "That's what she said!"

Heidi and Mark's distinct laughter further spurred me into consciousness, and I frowned slightly, pushing myself half upright. Lucas's room was a mess with my art supplies, and his bed looked like it had been through a tornado. Groggily, I scratched the back of my head and wondered what time it was.

"Dude, you guys need help." Johnny said once the laughter had died down a little, but his statement only proved capable of reviving the giggles.

"We're never going to get this done before he gets back." Jaehyun groaned.

"Only because someone decided to sleep in today!" Heidi cleared her throat meaningfully.

"Hey! In my defense, no one told me the plan!" Johnny protested.

"Oh, right 'no one told me the plan!'" I could almost hear the eyeroll in Heidi's voice. "You're such a baby."

"Hey, no! Don't copy me!" Johnny growled.

"Don't copy me!" Mark and Heidi mocked simultaneously, and there was a chorus of laughter followed quickly by pleas to leave them alone.

Stumbling out of the bed, I sighed and blinked back the last of my sleep. It'd been so peaceful, but now, I was certain I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep anytime soon—not with Heidi and Mark cackling up a storm while they tormented Johnny. At the sound of something metal banging across the floor, I paused briefly before opening the door.

"I thought you were supposed to be cooking..." Jaehyun said dryly.

"I am!" Mark snorted. "You just have yet to see my genius in the kitc—"

"Umm. No, you're not." Heidi cut him off quickly. "I am cooking, and you may...hold the stirring spoon."

"So I can stir it?" Mark said hopefully.

"Definitely not." It was Heidi and Johnny's turn to speak at once.

I cracked open the door to see pastel streamers and balloons strewn across the living room. The kitchen counters were a mess with supplies, and Jaehyun, Johnny, Mark, and Heidi looked like they were having a four person staring contest in the kitchen. Across the room, I heard someone punching the combination into the keypad outside, and Johnny and Jaehyun's gaze shifted to the door, but as I stepped further out of the bedroom, I moved right into the line of Heidi and Mark's gaze.

The door opened and Lucas walked in, arms laden with groceries, and it was then my memory fully returned to me. It was Lucas's birthday today. More important than that was the fact that I was wearing his shirt over my pajama shorts, and I had just been caught coming out of his bedroom.

"Hold up—" Mark was the first to recover his speaking capabilities.

Lucas's eyes locked with mine, widening slightly, and I half considered bolting back into the bedroom to hide. It was, however, far too late for that. I'd been caught red-handed.

"You two are—" Mark sputtered.

"Well, clearly someone stole our thunder and decided to throw a private party last night." Heidi shifted slightly, planting her fists on her hips, and I realized she was pregnant. When and how had I forgotten that?

"I guess you can call Changkyun and tell him he doesn't need to pick Cassidy up anymore..." Jaehyun whispered, leaning closer to her without taking his eyes off Lucas and I.