Chapter 11 - 롤러코스터 Heartbreaker ✔

I'd thought Johnny's driving was fast when I'd left the mansion with him and Heidi, but it was nothing compared to this. As if there were no traffic laws or cops to pull us over, he sped through the streets like the fires of hell were on our tail and would consume all of us if he used the brake pedal.

Honestly, the speed barely fazed me, however. I sat in the back seat with Lucas's head on my lap, chewing on my lower lip and trying to keep from crying. Despite myself, my brain kept telling me that this was going to be the end, that Lucas was going to die before I had the chance to properly thank him for saving me from whatever fate would have awaited me with the rival gang.

After what seemed like an eternity, Johnny stopped the car in front of a modern looking building with a smooth, black exterior. Mark opened the side door and jumped out, beckoning for me to follow him. I'd never seen him so serious before, and gently moving Lucas's head off my lap, I obeyed his command wordlessly. Johnny brushed past me as he got out of the van, carefully shifting Lucas's immobile body onto his back. As the three of us moved toward the house, Jaehyun opened the door, his face pale and his lips tight with worry.

"The building's been secured, and Jaemin's waiting to stitch him up." He said. "Heidi's on her way, too."

Johnny nodded curtly in response, walking quickly down the hallway. I tried to follow him, my eyes fixed firmly on Lucas's injured back, but Jaehyun reached out and stopped me. Shooting him a quizzical glance, I tried to keep moving, but he stepped in front of me.

"There's nothing for you to do down there. I have some food ready for you." He pulled me with him without waiting for my protests. "If I'm not mistaken, you haven't eaten anything in almost forty-eight hours, and it's not gonna help anyone for you to sit outside the surgery room." He pushed me into a chair, plopping a bowl of soup in front of me. "Jaemin's one of the best doctors out there. You don't have anything to worry about."

I shot a glance toward the door, considering arguing with him, but as the steam from the soup met my nostrils, I realized just how hungry I was. In reality, I did need to build up my strength, because the moment Lucas was stitched up, I wasn't going to leave his side no matter who tried to make me.

Under Jaehyun's watchful gaze, I downed the soup, unable to discern any particular flavor from it since all my senses were half numb at this point. As I ate the last spoonful, feeling increasingly tired and sluggish with every bite, Heidi burst into the room. Her features were wrought with concern as she looked at Jaehyun without even acknowledging my presence.

"Where is he?" I'd never seen her so serious.

"In surgery. Jaemin is—" Jaehyun began, but Heidi bolted out of the room before he could finish.

A moment later, Mark appeared, staring down the hallway in the direction Heid had just gone. "Heidi's here." His gaze shifted to Jaehyun with a meaningful expression etched on his features.

"Yeah, I just tried to give her an update, but she left too soon. I guess Johnny'll have to explain things." Jaehyun raised a brow.

"Did you hear that there was some sort of poison on the blade? It explains why he was bleeding so much." Mark rubbed the back of his neck, and through the heavy fog that had begun to settle over my brain, I could tell he was as exhausted as I was.

"Poison?" Jaehyun's eyes darted cautiously to me, but he seemed unable to stop himself from asking the question. "Do they need my help?"

"I think they've got it under control now. I'm not sure of all the details, but it was basically something that kept his blood from coagulating, so he's been bleeding pretty much nonstop since it happened." Mark shot me an almost reassuring glance.