Chapter 15:

Where in Duat was Antony?

The wine party was in two days and he hadn't been here to help me prepare at all.

"Two days my foot!" I grumbled as I walked around the Curia di Pompeo, making sure everything was in order.

Normally we'd host senate meetings here but Antony once a month requested it to be the meeting ground for our wine parties.

I halted as I passed a vase of flowers. My teeth grit together. "I said Wisterias. Why are they a completely different flower altogether."

I turned to face the servant I placed in charge, and he flinched slightly. "The wisterias are still in bloom, my lady–"

"I do not care for excuses." He bowed lowly before scurrying off to fix his mistake.

Bitch, my mind echoed the faint jab.

I rolled my eyes, stalking off.

"Well, if you want something to be done right you have to do it yourself and if you're too feeble, then be prepared to be ignored."

I stopped walking, finding myself in the garden by a fountain. Was I talking to myself? Why did it feel like I was going crazy? I shouldn't feel the need to justify my actions.

I am Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator.

Marcus?

"Who cares about Antony," I hissed.

Once again he'd run off, leaving me alone. Each time, just when I thought he'd stay, he'd disappear without a word. I felt my heart sink, weighed down by the longing for Antony. I tried so desperately to ignore it, knowing he was a suspect for treason against Julius. But­ No, I will not be triumphed over.

"THEA!" Antony's joyous voice called out for me and I instinctively turned towards it. I hated the effect he had on my body.

I scowled as he rushed up to me, his eyes ablaze with excitement. When he reached out to hug me, I tensed up, not used to this type of contact from him in public.

"You aren't going to believe this but they fixed it! It may only be a temporary repair but the blacksmith did it. I can finally get you home!"

"Home?!" I scoffed, pulling away from him. His joy slowly shaped into confusion.

"I will not leave Julius's side. Home can wait."

Antony's eyes slowly widened. "Th-Thea?"

I rolled my eyes turning away. "Nobody calls me that, you fool. Cleopatra is just fine." I made to leave before I did anything I'd regret, praying that my coldness would grow the distance I needed from Marcus that I was too proud to do myself.

Before I could leave Antony grabbed my forearm and spun me around. "ANTO-!"

"You're in there! Tell me you're there, Thea!" He interrupted, and the desperation in his voice caused it to crack mid-sentence.

I tried to pull out of his grasp as his hands gripped my arms tighter. "Let go!"

"God, no, please. Answer me," his hoarse voice made me stop wriggling in his grasp. I couldn't believe the tears I saw well up in his eyes.

"I can't do this without you. Thea... I–I love you."

I gasped as a wave of nausea crashed over me and my heart thumbed against my rib cage.

I'M HERE! a shattering voice rang through my head and suddenly it all came back to me.

Antony– no, the Marcus boy, watched me as I trembled, clinging to consciousness.

"Thea."

"Shut up," I yelled covering my ears and sinking to the ground. "She's alive. She's here. I remember. Oh, you damned fool. She let me take control."

I could hear her. I could feel her. It felt as if she were speaking to me from down a well.

"Thea's there!" Marcus burst into tears of relief as he held me.

"Something is wrong." I winced in pain as my head turned heavy. "She is fading. Her voice is too weak! She can't take control anymore."

Marcus' smile fell as if he knew what was happening. "She needs to reconnect to the timelines. She's neither here nor there." He swallowed nervously before his determined eyes fell on me.

No, no, no, Thea cried. Stop him. Get him back.

I frowned, not knowing what she meant as Marcus's lips crashed into mine. He kissed me. Antony or Marcus, I don't know which at that point, had kissed me for all to see, and I couldn't help but kiss him back as tears poured down his face.

He sat up, cradling me. "I'm sorry, my love." He raised the dagger and I knew what was to come. As soon as the blade came into contact with my skin, my blood, I fell limp in Marcus's arms.

Julius appeared pointing violently at Marcus. "Arrest him!" The look of betrayal and shock riddled his face as Brutus watched us with a twisted grin.

I apologize, Thea, I whispered as I felt her leave and my vision blacked out.

[Wattpad word count: 779]

[Total Wattpad word count: 16 023]

Edited by: TheRebeccaBlake and Dodelia Reene