Part 15

Kat abruptly put her car in park. All she wanted was the quiet solitude of her room. The only thing she wanted to do was surrender to a slumber where she didn't have to remember anything that happened in the past two days. Eddie was going to try and talk to her. So many different scenarios filled her head with any and all of his possible reactions. As much as she was running away from him, she longed to run to him too. The hangover she had wasn't the only thing splitting her head in two.

For once her aunt was actually home, which was to be expected as it was the one time Kat wished she wasn't. She went into the house, hoping Linda would be distracted enough to not notice she was home early. "Kat? Is that you?" She heard her call from the kitchen. So much for that.

"Hey, Aunt Linda." Kat hoped her voice just sounded more tired than anything.

"What are you doing home from school so early? Everything alright?" She asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I just have a killer headache. I made it through my English test and there wasn't anything important for the rest of the day, so I thought I'd head home early."

"I'm making bacon cheeseburgers. I'll save you one. It'll probably help when you wake up. Here, have some water though." She said as she poured then handed Kat a glass of water.

"Thanks," Kat said quietly, taking a big sip. She was surprised at how thirsty she was.

"Kat, before you go upstairs, and since you're here, there's something I wanted to talk to you about."

"Yeah?"

"Sherri, you know from across the street? Well, she informed me that there's been a beat up van parking outside the house. Is that a friend of yours?"

Kat tensed up instantly. She already didn't like where this was going. "Yeah, it's my friend Eddie's. We meet here and take my car. Why? Is that a problem for Sherri?" Her tone became increasingly defensive.

"It's just... It's rare for cars like that to appear in this neighborhood. She was concerned."

Kat scoffed. "Oh, concerned? Concerned about what? Having a temporary eyesore across the street? Should just tell her to mind her own goddamn business."

"Kat! What is this about?"

"You know, Eddie gets enough shit from the people in this town. Now I have to hear about 'Sherri' being just as judgemental as everyone else, just because of his stupid van?" The heat started rising in Kat. Her anger simmered throughout her. She needed to get this under control.

"Wait, are you talking about the Munson boy?" Linda questioned cautiously.

"Yes? Don't even–"

"Kat. You can't be friends with him! He is not good company to keep. His family, they are definitely not good people. Can't say I'm surprised, you'd gravitate towards this town's main derelict. Please, Kat, you can't keep repeating the same patterns. I am just trying to look out for you and your own good!" Linda rushed everything she had to say, hoping to get it all out, hoping Kat would understand she was just concerned for her niece.

A quiet stillness befell her and she could only stare at her aunt in shock. She really thought her aunt was not just like everyone else in this stuck up, pretentious town. In reality, it didn't surprise her upon this realization. Linda was her mother's sister after all. Just because she couldn't keep up with the Los Angeles socialites, didn't mean she didn't harbor their prejudices. All the while, Kat was seething.

"Have you ever had a conversation with him?" Kat asked too calmly.

"Well no, but his family has a reputa–"