Chapter 8: Frenzy

Delicately, I let Bonnie's weight rest against mine as I attempt to heave us both up from the blood splattered floor. Bonnie's eyes are still freakishly white so I gently close them, my hand still desperately pressed against her neck in hope to feel a pulse beating at a regular pace. Instead a faint pulse bounces underneath my fingers every few irregular seconds.

Frantically, my eyes search the hallway but nobody seems to be awake.

"Damon! Stefan! Caroline! Elena?" I call as loudly as I can, however my voice is oddly hoarse either from the stress of the sitauation or the colossal lump in my throat which seems to have been settling ever since my suspicions were confirmed. Malachai did this to Bonnie.

I exhale in relief as a drowsy Damon stumbles around the corner, his dark hair upright from sleep.

"Ali?" Damon questions, rubbing his eyes, his vision obviously still fuzzy. His voice is cracked from sleep, making his voice practically a whisper.

"Damon!" I exclaim.

"Wa-wait, is that Bon Bon? What happened? Is that blood?" Damon blurts out, snapping back to reality. He surges down the hall, his eyes stricken with anguish.

I let Bonnie fall into Damon's grip as he rushes towards us. Immediately, he plunges his fangs into his wrist, blood dribbling from the gash as he raises it towards Bonnie's slightly parted lips.

"No!" I roar, slashing Damon's wrist away from Bonnie.

"What are you doing? Bonnie is going to die! Let me save her!" Damon bellows.

"No, before she collapsed she said she didn't want vampire blood! She wanted to be healed in a hospital, like a normal person!" I cry, my hands waving in the air.

"Fine." Damon hisses, allowing his wound to heal and swinging Bonnie into his arms.

He begins to stalk down the hall before turning around, flustered.

"How did this happen anyway?" Damon asks, a puzzled expression painted on his face.

Haltingly, I raise my eyes from the floor to meet his baby blue eyes.

"Malachai." I whisper.

Damon sighs, "Of course."

Bonnie stirs slightly in his arms and a vein in her forehead starts to throb. Damon and I eye it anxiously before Damon announces, "Ali, tell Stefan about Malachai. He'll sort him out - if he's still here anyway. Then tell Caroline, Elena and the others to meet me at the hospital, okay?"

"Okay." I nod, before kissing Bonnie's cheek softly, then rushing down the hall.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The group stand behind the window looking into Bonnie's hospital room. They have already stitched up her wound, but they still have to monitor her whilst she is still sleeping. Silence screams at us as we gaze at her motionless body and the faintly audible beep of the heart monitor.

"Did you find Malachai?" Damon questions, peering over at his brother.

"Yep, he was sat in his bed like nothing ever happened... You know, I actually kind of feel sorry for that kid, there's got to be something severly wrong with him..." Stefan says, his eyes still fixed on Bonnie.

Hastily, I wipe away a tear because they have no idea. Malachai doesn't just have something wrong with him — trapped inside this pyschotic boy is a boy with such emotion I have never known before. They have no idea that the demon that appears in front of us is eating this boy alive. They have no idea.

"Well... are you sure it was him?" Caroline breathes.

"Who else could have it been?" Damon wheezes, almost amused by the fact Caroline has considered the fact it could have been someone else. "I mean, Bonnie said it was Malachai to Ali! Didn't she, Ali?"

"Yes, well, she only managed to say 'Mala', but it's pretty self explanatory from there onwards." I exhale.

"So, Stefan, what did you do with him once you found him?" Tyler asks, his expression stern and unreadable.

"I locked him in one of the cells in the basement." Stefan replies.

"You didn't kill him?" Damon exclaims, surprised.

"No, this boy seems to know way more than he's supposed to. We could get answers from him." Stefan responds breezily. "Speaking of Malachai, could someone go and check on him. Don't want him thinking he'll escape anytime soon."

"I'll go." I volunteer, raising my eyebrows at Stefan.

Everybody turns to me to in astonishment but don't attempt to stop me. After all, somebody has to do it.

~~~~~~~~~~

My footsteps pad down the stone stairway leading to the basement, my jacket fluttering in the uneasy draft. I'm not quite sure how to feel, it will be the first time in a very long time that I've been completely alone with Kai. Even longer that I've been alone with Malachai.

I inhale my nerves and exhale my confidence as I stride towards the cell door Stefan told me Malachai will be in.

Coming to a stop behind the door, I inhale and rest my head against the door.

Then, cautiously I unbolt the lock and creep round the corner, preparing for the worst.

Instead I find the complete opposite. In the corner, sits Kai curled up in a ball, tears streaming down his face.