7

"Are you sure you don't want me to wait here until the movie ends?" My mom asked, parking the car outside the theater.

  "No, Mom. What if we take a detour and decide to get food afterwards?" I said for the nth time. She didn't seem to like the idea of me being out with a girl on my own very much. My mother shrugged.

  "Call me if you need anything and... don't act all nerdy in front of her. Girls don't like nerds." She said matter-of-factly. I furrowed my brows. I wasn't even a nerd.

  "Since when have I been nerdy?" My mother didn't allow time for a response. She simply drove off, leaving me standing in the parking lot, alone.

  Though my mother had been very fussy about the whole 'date' thing, I was glad she hadn't been more detailed about it as I knew my mother wanted to be. I figured that my father had said something beforehand, reminding her that I was soon to be an adult and was ready to make my own decisions. My father promoted the concept of independence and I appreciated that.

  Although, he had overprotective tendencies and was often overly proud of me, so I had a hard time getting along with my peers whenever my father was around. He was always picky with my friends and too judgy. Telling me who I could and couldn't hang out with. That part, I didn't feel as grateful for.

  It was as if he thought I was too pure to function in society without him when I was completely fine. In fact, I preferred it that way. Many people have the idea that rich kids are raised to not think for themselves, but I really couldn't stand that kind of stereotype, so I never allowed my parents to hire a nanny or tutor for me. I liked to do things with other kids my age, so I could feel satisfied with the things I did, knowing I had done them myself.

  Ignoring those thoughts, I made my way to the inside of the theater to buy the movie tickets in advance. The moment I stepped into the building, I needed a moment to adjust. It had been so long since I'd gone to the movie theater. I had forgotten what it was like.

  The floor was covered in a navy-shaded carpet with colorful shapes and doodles scattered across it. The lights were dim and there were three huge TV screens playing the same movie trailer, before changing after one ended. There were two counters inside. One for buying movie tickets and one for buying snacks and drinks for the movie.

  The counters were smooth and black with advertising signs and posters printed on the surface. A little to the right and behind the counters was a hallway leading off where I couldn't see. I guessed it was headed to the movie screens. I felt excitement rush through me as I took in everything around me. Part of me wished I was here with Jisung, so I could see the cool and unchanging expression on his face as he stood here, deciding which movie to watch.

  I brushed the idea out of my head, focusing on Aecha.

  Right.

  My date.

  I walked over to the ticket booth, paying for both of out tickets. We agreed to watch a horror movie together as we had both admitted to liking horror movies.

  After pocketing the tickets, I took a seat at an empty bench and waited for my date to arrive. It wasn't that Aecha was late, I was just very early. I wanted to be mentally prepared for my first date. I wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be, but I was still bouncing my leg uncontrollably.

  Before I knew it, I watched a girl walk in wearing a gray, loose-fit, cropped sweatshirt with a black denim mini-skirt. She looked around the theater as if in search for someone. I shot up, waving at her. I waited for her to see me, but when she did, I thought my heart would burst. I couldn't see her face from afar, but the closer she got, the prettier she was. I figured I could never get tired of her face, because something about it was so attractive, though I was already used to all of her features.