Chapter 10

Whatever happened to the simple, single life for me? I'm such a fuck up.

After collecting my things for the changing rooms of the spa, I dump them in my car and wander down to the docks, sitting myself on a bench. The hustle and bustle of the docks is in full swing as people come and go, all looking happy and content. The flowers are in bloom on the elaborate lampposts, spilling over the baskets and cascading down the ornate iron, and the lights from the building all flicker and glow across the docks, dancing off of the rippling waves.

I sigh and close my eyes, listening to the sound of the water lightly lapping at the sides of the boats. It's rhythmic and relaxing, but I don't think anything will make me feel better at the moment. I get my phone out of my pocket to call Beth. After letting it ring off, I leave a message.

"Hey, it's me," I know I sound forlorn, but I can't feign chirpiness when I really don't feel it. I groan. "Oh, Beth... I've made a monumental fuck up. I'll be home soon." I drop my hand to the bench and resolve to the fact that I'm pretty damn stupid. What was I thinking?

My phone jumps to life in my hand, and I connect the call without looking at the display, assuming it will be Beth. "Hey."

"Where are you?" He speaks softly down the phone.

I don't know whether my heart sinks because it's not Beth, or just because it is Harry. I don't know anything. My life was resuming rather well, man free and commitment free, and now this is going to play on my conscience. I'm a firm believer in Karma, in which case, I'm in big trouble

"I'm at home." I lie again. It's coming naturally these days. I'm playing with my collar again, a sure sign of my Pinocchio behaviour.

"Okay." He whispers and hangs up.

Oh? Well, that was easier than I contemplated. After I didn't comply with hand holding orders and abandoned him with Tom mauling him, I had expected pissed off. So, he's got what he wanted and that's it. I'm not sure why I feel so neglected. It's what I had expected, and its not less than I actually deserve. His persistence had me worn down, but now it's out of my system. Now, I can get back to me and my life. And if I'm lucky, Nick won't ever find out about this mild indiscretion.

Mild? It was far from mild.

Nevertheless, Harry can continue with his serial seductions and move on to the next lucky person, for all I care. I'm sure Nick will find out soon enough, just not now. A man scorned and after my blood is the last thing I need.

After sitting and musing for a while, I reluctantly get up to go and hail a cab. There's only so long you can sit feeling sorry for yourself. I need to put tonight behind me fast. I need to forget about it, eradicate it from my memory and put it down to experience. He's hazardous. I know it.

As I turn and look up, Harry is stood a few feet away, quietly watching me. How the hell am I going to achieve any of my objectives if he stalks me?

Where's Nick?

We face each other, still and silent, his face impassive as he studies me. And then I burst into tears. I don't know why, but I put my face in my hands and I sob. God only knows what he must be thinking. But then I feel his warm body swathe me and my head rests in the crevasse of his neck, my arms, on reflex, reaching under his to cling onto him. We say nothing for a long time. We just stand there in each others arms, silent while he massages the back of my head with the palm of his big hand, keeping me tucked tightly against his body. There is only a small part of my wondering where Nick is, but I don't dwell on it. I feel sheltered and safe, and I'm only mildly alert to the fact that I should be running away from these arms, not into them. I should be treating them with caution, not accepting the comfort they're giving me. Why can't I run?