Chapter 14

'Fucking hell!' Beth's stood in my bedroom doorway, open mouthed and wide eyed. 'What happened?'

I tuck my black shirt into my pants and marvel at how easily I locate my black shoes and belt. I really am very organised this morning.

'How's your Gran?' I ask, feeding my belt through the loops of my trousers.

'Still senile. What did you get up to while I was gone?' She starts plumping a pillow on my bed.

I gesture around the room, with a what-do-you-think look, leaving out the fact that Luke called and I agreed to meet him. Oh, I'll also omit the Harry call that resulted in me sulking for the best part of yesterday. How ridiculous!

'What time did you get back?' I ask. I'd given up waiting and pigged Beth's half of the wine after I called and discovered that she was stuck at junction nineteen of the M1.

'Ten. All of the commuters returning to the city were clogging the roads. I'll do the train next time. Can I borrow you after work?'

'Sure, what for?'

'I've got a cake delivery I need some help with.' she says.

'No worries. Pick me up from the office at six.' I grab my black workbag from my newly organised cupboard.

'Will do, have you heard from the God?'

My head snaps up, and I find Beth grinning from ear to ear as she folds up my bed throw. I narrow my eyes on her before presenting myself to the mirror.

'You mean the Lord. He called.' I disclose casually, catching her reflection. She's still grinning. 'What?' I gasp.

'Have we established an age?'

I scoff. 'No, I keep asking and he keeps lying. It's obviously an issue.'

'Well, the man's landed himself a hot lad of twenty six. He probably can't believe his luck. He's thirty five, maximum.'

'He hasn't landed me. It's just sex.' I correct her, rather unconvincingly. I collect my bag, leaving Beth tweaking my bed covers as I head to the kitchen, pour myself some orange juice and take my phone off charge.

Beth waltzes in as I'm feeding myself my pill. She flicks the kettle on. 'You can't beat a good screw with an Adonis to get you over a relationship. He's your rebound fuck.'

I laugh. Yes, that's exactly what he is. Not that I needed any distractions to get over Luke. That was pretty easy.

'Correct,' I agree. 'I'll see you after work.'

She leans over the banister as I run down the stairs. 'Six o'clock!'

It's a usual Monday morning again, but most unusual is that everyone is here. There's always at least one of us out of the office on site visits or appointments. I'm in the kitchen with Patrick, filling him in on Mrs Kent's new house.

'Have you ever asked her if she would change the theme? It may influence whether it feels like home. It would potentially save Mr K a fortune,' Patrick laughs. 'Not that I'm complaining, of course. She can move every year for the rest of her life, for all I care, as long as she keeps contracting you to jazz the place up.'

I frown. 'Jazz? I do more than jazz the place up, Patrick. I don't know. She insists on modern everything, but I'm not sure it's really her thing. I think she gets bored. That or she loves having the workmen around.' I raise my eyebrows on a laugh.

'Now, there's a thought,' Patrick laughs with me. 'The old goat is seventy, if a day. Maybe she should get a toy-boy. God knows, Mr K has plenty on young scrumpet scattered around the globe. I have that straight from a very reliable source.' He winks at me, and I smile fondly at him.