Chapter 23

After receiving a lecture about carelessness from Doctor Edwards, our life-long family doctor, she gave me a prescription for my pills and sent me on my way, but not before checking how Mum and Dad are getting on in Newquay. With Dad's health being the main reason for their winding down from the big city, she was keen to hear all is well.

I stop off at the chemist on the way home, rolling in the door at just before six. It makes a change to be home so early. I'm surprised to find Beth isn't home, but Margo is parked up outside so she's not delivering cakes.

I shower, change into my shorts and t-shirt, and blow-dry my hair roughly. When I'm done, I grab my phone from my bag and roll my eyes at the twenty missed calls and, rather sensibly, delete the five texts without reading them. It starts silently flashing in my hand as I walk through to the kitchen. Won't the man just give up? He's clearly not use to rejection, and he clearly doesn't like it.

My wine bottle clatters against my glass, mid-pour, when I jump out of my skin at an almighty bang on the front door.

'Louis!'

'Oh God,' I mutter to myself.

'Louis!' he roars, banging again.

I hurry through to the lounge, looking out of the blind to see Harry staring up at the window. He looks frantic. What's wrong with that man? He can stay out there all night, if he likes, I'm not answering the door. Being face to face with him will be a huge mistake. I watch as he holds his phone to his ear and mine starts flashing in my hand again. I reject it and look on as he glances at his phone in disbelief.

'Louis! Answer the fucking door!'

'No.' I snap, watching him pace down the path to the road. I nearly have heart failure when I spot Ian pull up in his Porsche. Beth gets out.

Shit!

She approaches Harry, who's waving his arms around like a loon, as Ian joins them on the pavement and rubs his shoulder in a gesture of comfort. They talk for a few moments before Beth leads them up the path to the front door.

'No, Beth!' I shout at the window. 'Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!' That's it, our friendship is over!

I stand like a complete lemon in the lounge, hearing the front door swing open, smashing against the wall behind it, and then the stamping of heavy feet flying up the stairs. He crashes through the lounge door, the anger on his face turning to relief before reverting back to pure fury again. His grey suit looks perfectly smooth and unaffected, unlike his dishevelled hair and sweaty brow.

'Where the FUCK have you been?' He blasts me with his shout, his breath, literally, breezing past my ears. 'I've been pulling my fucking hair out!'

Yes, I can see that.

I stand staring at him, completely dumb struck. I have no idea what to say. Is he under some sort of illusion that I'm answerable to him? Beth and Ian approach behind him, all quiet and apprehensive. I look at Beth, shaking my head. I'm dying to ask her if she likes this Harry.

'We're just gonna pop down The Cock for a drink.' Ian says quietly, grabbing Beth's hand and pulling her down the landing. She doesn't try to stop him. I watch them leave, mentally cursing their chicken arses for leaving me alone to deal with crazy man here.

He seems to take a few calming breaths, looking up at the ceiling in weariness, before returning his blazing gaze to mine. It penetrates me deeply. 'Does someone need a reminder?'

I think I must have a carpet burn on my chin because my jaw has just plummeted to the rug. It really is all about sex to him. His self-assuredness is shocking and his opinion of me inexcusable.