Chapter 9

One of the worse things about her motion sickness was that Rei was never actually able to pass out. She was always stuck feeling ready and wanting to pass out, but not being able to. It was the same situation for how her stomach felt. Rei felt like she was about to throw up constantly, but she never would, leaving her lying on the entire train seat with a trash bin nearby just in case something actually managed to come up. 

"Are you sure she's ok?" Blaise questioned for the hundredth time as his conversation with Evelyn and Sky came to an end. Rei was pretty sure they had been talking about the dark wizards in Lotus, but she couldn't be sure as she had only been able to hear about half of the conversation. 

"Trust me, give her two minutes after it stops and it'll be like nothing happened," Sky answered from where she was sitting on Evelyn's lap. Rei didn't even bother reacting, knowing it would just make her sicker if she even tried to open her mouth.

Evelyn laughed, "It's nice to know that the strongest wizard in our town has such a dumb weakness. It means I can beat her in anything vehicle-related."

"I think we're almost there," Blaise said, mostly to Rei, who didn't even make a noise of acknowledgment.

But thankfully, his statement was correct, as just 10 or so minutes passed before the train pulled to a stop and Blaise had taken the job of carrying the half-dead Rei out of the train. Once she was sat down on a bench in the train station, they really did only need to give her two minutes before she was back to her old self and claiming she would never ride a train again. Sky had practically laughed in Rei's face at that comment before she told them that they needed to find an inn to stay at for the night as Rei needed time to recover before getting on the next train. That and their next train didn't arrive till the next day anyway, which was the actual reason they were staying the night there, but Sky let Rei believe whatever she wanted.

When they got to the only inn that was in the small station town, Rei started bombarding Blaise with questions almost immediately. She had been barely holding onto consciousness when Sky and Evelyn had asked Blaise basic 'get to know you' questions, so she knew much less about their new group member than the other two. Blaise didn't seem to mind the questions though as he answered every one with zero hesitation and asked returning questions that Rei also answered with no hesitation.

Much to Sky's disappointment, Blaise wasn't much more responsible than Rei or Evelyn. He had apparently been traveling for almost 2 months looking for a place to settle and had been moving between cities every few months before then. He learned his magic from his parents who were also fire mages, but neither of them had ever been a part of a guild. Despite that, Blaise had made a half-spontaneous decision to go on a quest to find one, which ended up leading him to Rei.

After questioning Blaise, Rei led the group to get food before they went back to their rooms to sleep. When they woke up the next morning, Sky bribed Rei with a two or three-day break from trains to get her to the train station without having to drag her. They got to the station with little issues, although, as they stood in the station waiting for the train, Rei debated if she should just walk to the next town and meet the group there.

"Woah, that guy looks like you when you're on trains," Evelyn commented, interrupting Rei's thoughts as she followed Evelyn's gaze to a teenage boy with dark brown hair who seemed like he was about to throw up.

Rei shot her a glare before her attention fell on the boy. He had to be around Evelyn's age, maybe a year younger and seemed to be alone. And he did look incredibly sick and seemed to want to be anywhere but a train station. Then the boy suddenly looked up and his eyes meet Rei's. She gave him a small smile and started to walk toward him, "Hey, are you ok?"