Chapter 12

Rei could already tell the meal they were about to have would be the best one since leaving Lotus. The smell instantly filled her nose as they walked out of their room and she was drawn to it. Then she saw the meal, laid out nicely on the table, and her mouth started to water.

Blaise was already in the room when the girls walked in and Tess and Dallas greeted them with smiles. Then Tess told them to help themselves to the food and Rei didn't hesitate to take hefty portions and pile them on her plate, earning a disapproving look from Sky.

Everyone ate silently for a few minutes before Tess began the conversation, "So you said you were traveling to Era to establish a magic guild, correct," Rei nodded and Tess continued, "That's very impressive, you must have some impressive magic."

"Especially since you're so young," Dallas mumbled, earning a stern look from Tess which just caused him to roll his eyes.

"Yeah, those two are insane," Blaise said, nodding to Rei and Evelyn.

"What magic do you use?" Dallas asked, Blaise told him fire-make magic before Dallas looked at Rei and Evelyn, "Then what about you two?"

"I use take-over magic," Evelyn answered simply.

Tess and Dallas shared a look, before Tess echoed, "Take-over magic?"

Evelyn nodded, "Yup. Demon soul, full body take-over magic."

"Full body take-over?" Dallas questioned with a shocked look on his face. "But isn't that incredibly hard to master? You're so young."

"It wasn't too hard for me. It just kinda happened." Evelyn replied with a shrug.

Tess and Dallas shared another look before Dallas narrowed his eyes at Rei with caution, "And what type of magic do you use?"

"Storm dragon slayer magic," Rei chirped before taking another bite of her food.

"Dragon slayer... But that's... that's lost magic, right?" Tess questioned, looking stunned.

"Yeah, it's lost magic," Rei said, her eyes narrowing as she continued, "Apparently, people can learn it with lacrima though. But I'd guess my magic would be stronger than a lacrima dragon slayer's magic."

"Why's that?" Tess asked, seeming afraid of the answer.

"Well, I was taught my magic by an actual dragon, so it's probably stronger than someone who just got it because of some lacrima," Rei answered nonchalantly as Tess and Dallas froze.

It seemed to take a minute before the couple's brains began to function again as Dallas stuttered out, "Did you- did you just say that... you were taught you're magic by- by a dragon? Like, and actual dragon?"

"Yeah," Rei said, her smile turning to a sad one as her eyes drifted to the window where she could see the storm outside. "Nephele the storm dragon. She taught me everything I know. She was basically my mother... But then... she disappeared one day and I was alone..."

Tess's shock morphed into sadness and concern -- while Dallas was still wrapping his head around the idea Rei was raised by a dragon. Rei let out a long sigh and her gaze fell to her plate, "I stopped trying to actively look for Nephele a few years ago. It's been, what, 7 or 8 years after all. But storms like this still give me hope. These are her storms. But she's never there..."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Tess muttered, watching Rei sadly.

Rei shook her head, "Don't worry about it. There's nothing anyone can do."

The room went silent and a minute passed before Dallas broke the silence to ask about Sky. That conversation made Sky more than a little upset and she was pleased when Tess started to clear the table and they were able to go to their rooms.

* * *

The house had fallen asleep not long after they finished eating. Rei stayed up for about an hour after Evelyn fell asleep, staring out the window and listening to the sound of the rain. Eventually, it just put her to sleep and when she woke up the next morning, it was no longer raining.

Tess made them breakfast and Rei talked a bit more about Lotus and her guild. She got asked what the guild name was going to be and she just shrugged in response. Then Sky and Rei ended up helping Tess clean up breakfast before they went back to their rooms to get all their stuff.

"Well, we're headed off," Rei said as the group stood outside and Tess and Dallas stood in front of their front door to see them off. They had only took a few minutes to grab everything and make sure the rooms they stayed in were clean.

"Where are you guys headed next?" Dallas asked, leaning against the doorframe.

"The city Blue Pegasus is in," Blaise answered.

"We might try to look at Blue Pegasus and see if we can learn anything," Sky explained as she hovered in the air next to Rei. "It'd probably be good for Rei to learn something from an experienced guild master."

"And I'm sure there'll be strong people there to fight," Evelyn said, earning a nod of agreement from Rei and a sigh from Sky.

Tess laughed, "Well, it sounds like it'll be an eventful stop."

"Yeah, and we really do need to learn more about guilds in general," Rei replied with a sigh. "I've never been in a guild hall before and the only stuff I know is based on what people in my tiny town have told me."

Dallas shook his head and sighed, "I'm surprised, but not really. After only knowing you for one night, it's not surprising you'd start a guild without knowing anything."

"Hey, that's the point of this trip, to learn stuff while working toward getting the guild started," Rei retorted, crossing her arms.

"Anyways," Sky interrupted, "I think it's time we head out. We want to make it to the city before it gets too dark."

"Right, of course," Tess said with a smile. "I hope everything goes well for you guys. Good luck."

"Thanks," Rei replied brightly.

The group waved and said 'good-bye' to the couple before they turned away, leaving the small farming town and continuing their journey.