scene. vi

"All good things come to an end..." Madeleine's voice was clear, with some falling intonations due to sadness.

She was addressing Gar with a friendly smile though, and he was smiling at her too. He was smiling, even though it pained him to see their paths parting so quickly. It seemed to him that the ordeals he had overcome had brought them close enough that he would lose sight of Madeleine again.

"See you later, then," Madeleine said as she entered the elevator. She didn't feel the courage to say goodbye, because it seemed too abrupt, too definitive.

"See you," Gar smiled bitterly, hands in his trouser pockets. "We'll see each other again, won't we? You promised to think about it..."

Medeleine nodded, and that brought some consolation to the green-haired boy. Of course the young woman also felt pained! Yet she didn't let it show. She wanted to take Gar in her arms, and hug him as hard as she could. But she didn't allow herself to. The elevator doors would now close and then she would come back down to reality, find her daily life as she had left it.

"Oh... Before I forget... It was you that night, wasn't it?" asked Madeleine.

"I don't get it..." Gar answered, he was pretending but deep down he knew what Madeleine meant.

"Never mind. Thank you." smiled Madeleine as the doors closed.

"You're welcome, Madeleine..." Gar whispered even though she couldn't hear him anymore.

A few minutes passed, and the green-haired boy was still standing in front of the elevator. He was lost in thought, and Conner snapped him out of it : "Hey, man! Where's Madeleine?"

"She...is gone," Gar replied, with a hint of sadness in his voice. He turned back to Conner, who looked defeated.

"She didn't look sick though..." Conner said sadly.

"Oh no! She's not dead! Why did I say it this way… No, she just left. Literally. She went home." Gar explained.

"At home? So she didn't live here?" Conner questioned.

"I thought so, too..." Gar sighed "I think...I need to get some fresh air. Are you coming with me?"

"Okay!" replied Conner.

////////////////////

After closing the door, Madeleine leaned against it. She looked around her apartment. She was pensive. The young woman had the impression of having come back to herself, after a dream. Yet, that was not the case. For a moment, she felt like a crazy dream had come true.

She finally walked away from the door, and placed her keys on the dining room table. Where should she start? Research her strange ability or contact her boss? She didn't really know, and she lacked motivation. So she pulled out a chair to sit on and didn't move for the next half hour.

Madeleine finally let out a resolute sigh, then she went to her computer to check her emails. There were publicity ones she didn't pay attention to, but there was also an email from her job. Failing to have been able to contact her during this lapse of time, they were already planning to replace her... She was flabbergasted. And yet, it's true that she had almost disappeared without giving any news, without explaining anything.

Checking her phone, she saw that there were several messages from Samantha, her boss and even Eddie. She didn't answer any of them. Even if it was difficult, she had to go there to apologize and still explain. Then maybe she'll have to find another job.

She would go today because the day was far from over. So she changed her clothes, ate on the go and went out. On the way, she was internally stressing about having to face all those stares. She couldn't even tell what had happened to her! They wouldn't believe her anyway or at worst, they would think she was crazy.

Madeleine was waiting for her bus, thinking about what she might say. While she was thinking, a young man came to stand not far from her, at the bus shelter. She granted him no intention, but the same did not apply to the newcomer. He gave a little laugh, and Madeleine gave him a sideways look, telling herself that he must be a lunatic.

"You look good, Maddie..." the young man said, but Madeleine pretended not to have heard him, while praying for the bus to arrive quickly.

"So it's the effect of turning someone's life into a nightmare..." insisted the young man "Why didn't you kill me too? Why did you make my life a perpetual nightmare? "

Madeleine still did not answer. She hoped the intruder would eventually go away. She didn't want to risk angering him. But the guy hadn't said his last word. He chuckled again. Then that chuckle turned into a giggle. Madeleine ventured to look the guy in the face. He was dressed in white, sickly pale, his hair was a very pale blond. He looked young. It must have been the third time she had seen him. who was he? Was he human?

"What do you want from me?" asked Madeleine in a firm tone.

"End my suffering. Please..." replied the young man, indicating his head.

"What are you talking about?" asked Madeleine, disconcerted.

"You deprived me of sleep... You are so cruel. You snatched from me the only ability left to a human being, when he lost everything..." the young man smiled hysterically.

"Impossible.. I..." stammered Madeleine.

"You are not the only survivor" answered the young man "now, fix what you did to me, please"

"Here?" inquired Madeleine, troubled.

"No, there are too many people. I know a place where we could be quiet. It's a kind of hideout. This is where I had to hide all these years because of you ." answered the guy.

"I see..." murmured Madeleine.