Chapter Three

Kie handed John B a FedEx envelope out of the hole. "That's not gold", Pope stated as Kie got out of the hole. "Holy shit", John B muttered. "This is from my dad". JJ and Allie were smoking a couple inches away from the group when they saw a vehicle approaching. "Code red. Code red. Square groupers! Square groupers!" JJ exclaimed. "Go", Allie said as they started running.

"It's the guys that robbed your house"

They hid behind a wall. "Light", Kie said and they turned off their flashlights. "Do you think it's them?" Homie's got a gun", JJ said, peering over the wall.

"Screw this"

She started running and they followed after her. They climbed over the gate but Pope got stuck. "Shit, guys, I'm stuck", he said. "Pope, come on!" JJ said. The others rushed over to help him when JJ raised the gun. "Pope, don't move, okay?" he said. Allie shoved his hand down. "Are you insane?" she said. Kie pulled Pope off the gate, ripping his pants and leaving him in his boxers. "Nice! Come on, dude", JJ said. "It's a little Tootsie Roll", Allie said, laughing as they ran to the Twinkie. They got in, still laughing. They drove off.

JJ was putting peanut butter on some bread when Allie came over. "That bread had mould on it three days ago," she said.

"I'll just pull off the bad parts. Plus, mould is good for you. It's just a natural organism"

"That's not at all right, no"

"Guys", Kie said, calling them over and they came over, JJ holding his sandwich. "Hot damn, let's do it", he said. John B opened the envelope and JJ started gagging from his sandwich. "You're an idiot", Allie chuckled. John B unfolded the large piece of paper that was in the envelope. "Holy shit", he said. It was a map with coordinates. "Oh. X marks the spot", Pope said, pointing at it.

"Longitude, latitude. Wait, there's something else in here"

He pulled out a tape recorder. "What's that?" JJ asked. "It's a tape recorder, dumbass", Allie replied. John B pressed play. "Dear Bird", the tape began. "Who's Bird?" JJ asked. "That's what my dad called me", John B said. "I hate to say, "I told you so", but I told you so", his dad continued. "And you doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either. You were probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly Father of the Decade. What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn. And hopefully, we're listening to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, living off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of the Merchant. If something happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kid. I love you, Bird, even if I didn't always act like it. I'll see you on the other side". The tape ended. John B got up and he turned away, leaning against the wall sobbing. "Holy shit, he did it!" JJ said. "Big John...he found the Merchant...". "JJ! Maybe not now", Allie said.

"Sorry"

Kie went over and hugged John B.

They were now outside while Kie played the ukulele. "How much was it again?" JJ asked making her stop. "Four hundred mil", John B said.

"Alright, let's talk the split. Now, when we say "evenly", may I remind you that I am the only one that can properly defend us from those groupers who were after us. Protection? Not cheap, okay?" "You're joking, right?" Allie said. "You haven't trained", Pope said. "You've done zero training". "Youtube, bro!" JJ said. "That's at least a five percent bump right there".

"You haven't..."

"Any objections? Didn't think so"

"Yeah"