Chapter Ten

Pope and Allie woke up to see JJ already awake and Kie still asleep. "He's pinched for sure", JJ said. "No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him", Allie replied.

"Let's hope"

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too", Kie said, now awake. "Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B", Pope said. "So, find him before they do?" JJ asked. "Pope?"

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat"

"Hey, you be careful", Kie said. "Okay?"

"Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late"

He left and Kie went after him. She tried to talk to him but he rode off. Suddenly, they heard helicopter blades whirring and looked up. "Who the hell is that?" Allie said.

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ said to Kie as they gathered supplies. "It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation", she replied. "Is that enough food for them?" Allie said. "I mean, for a couple of weeks, and that's all they need, so...", JJ said. "Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings", Kie said. "Kie, it's not your fault. You can't force yourself to like him back", Allie reassured. "His hurt feelings are his problem". "Look, don't beat yourself up too much. He's completely changed his feels", JJ added. "The past 24 hours have been like Jekyll and Hyde". "I hate to admit it but I miss the old Pope", Kie said. "At least I knew what to expect from him". "Where you been?" Kie's mom said, approaching them.

"Uh--I'm fine. I slept here"

"Well, we were up half the night, scared to death, lookin' for you. Were you even gonna tell us?"

"Well, I'm telling you right now"

"Alright, what the hell are you three up to?"

"I'm sorry, Miss Anna, we just gotta go", JJ said.

"Sorry", Kie said. "No, I'm sorry. Absolutely not", she replied. "Have you heard what's going on out there?"

"Mom, I'll explain later"

"Have you seen the storm? Allie, your mother has been looking for you. You need to go home"

"Looking for me?! She kicked me out of the house!" Allie exclaimed. "What does she want from me now?"

"This is not safe"

"I'm sorry, Mom. We have to go!" Kie said as they got into the car.

"These cops are armed, Kiara. You're gonna get yourself shot"

"I have to go!"

"I am not letting you do this!"

"Mom, John B needs me!"

"You need to stay here"

"I understand. I'll be careful. Sorry!"

"Kiara! Open this door!"

"I'm sorry"

"Stop it right now. Right now, Kiara. This is not safe! Stop! Stop! Kiara!"

Kie drove off, leaving her mother behind.

Kie drove them to JJ's house and Allie and JJ got out of the car. "Home sweet home", he commented, looking like he wanted to cry. "Do you want me to come?" she asked him. "'Cause I'll come".

"No. Do you need me to?"

"No, I can't go back there. Not yet"

"This'll only take a second. Okay?"

"Okay"

He smiled at her and went inside. She got back into the car. "You know, if you guys really like each other...the rule doesn't matter", Kie said. "You know that, right?"