Chapter Four

"It's not there", John B sighed, looking at the empty boat. "Look, just...just pull the drone up. Shit". "Look, we can do another pass. Recharge the battery", Pope suggested. "We can...we can go back down". "Guys, we've done it three times. There's nothing there", JJ said. "Shut up!" Kie exclaimed.

"What? It's true!

"The gold could be buried. We don't know"

"If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" John B said. "Somebody beat us to it". "Or it was never there", JJ muttered.

Pope ran to Allie's house and knocked on the door. She answered it, making sure her parents didn't see who it was. "Hey, what's up?" she asked him, noticing his panicked face.

"I think Topper and Rafe know about the boat"

"No fucking way"

"Come on, we have to go tell JJ"

"What, now?"

"Yes, now! Allie, come on!"

She looked into the house and quietly shut the door, running off with Pope.

They made it to JJ's house where he was outside with headphones on, shooting at a stuffed bear. "JJ!" Pope yelled but he couldn't hear him. "What was that?" JJ said to the bear. "JJ!" Allie yelled but he didn't hear her.

"That's what I thought, man"

"JJ!" Pope yelled, finally grabbing his attention. "They know".

"What?"

"They know"

"Alright, chill, bro. Alright? They don't know shit"

"Topper knows I sunk his boat"

"How do you know they know?"

"Because Rafe and Topper posted outside of Heyward's and mad dogged me"

"Will you calm down and get a grip, man? They don't know shit"

"They have cameras. They could've seen me"

"There was no power. How could they have seen you?"

"It's Figure Eight. They got generators. They don't give scholarships to kids who vengefully sink boats. It's not a good look on my transcript"

"Enough with the regret, bro! They caved your face in. They hit us, we hit them. It's the law of the jungle. Now, if any Kooks come up to you and ask if you had anything to do with it, you walk up to 'em, look 'em right in the eye, and..."

"Deny the living shit out of it"

"That's right. Deny, deny, deny. But just for safety, we don't go anywhere without protection. Right?"

Allie went home to grab some stuff for the movie night when she was met by her parents at the door. "Where have you been all day?" her father asked her. "I've just been out with my friends", she replied.

"With the Pogues?"

"Daddy, come on. I promise, if you got to know them you would-"

"Did you forget what I told you?"

"No, but-"

"Do you realise what people say about you, about us when they see you with them? I built an entire life for us and you just throw it back in my face like it's nothing"

"Dad, if you would just listen-"

She was interrupted by his hand slapping her across the face. She held her cheek as it stung, tears brimming in her eyes. Her dad walked into his bedroom, slamming the door behind him. She looked at her mom. Her mom reached into the freezer, grabbing an ice pack and giving it to her before walking into the bedroom. After a few moments, she heard yelling.