Know You Better, Like You A Little

Wednesday night, 07:10pm - Danielle's dormitory.

Haerin put the small pot of rib soup on the table, she then went back to the kitchen to get the smoked meat plate. Danielle took two bowls and poured rib soup into each.

Haerin came from the kitchen with the steaming plate of smoked meat and a plate of lettuce, "Would you like some rice?" she asked, Danielle shook her head and sat down.

Haerin put both plates on the table, she then put three pieces of meat on Danielle's plate and hers, "Thank you." Danielle said. Haerin sat in her chair, "Is there anything else you want?" she asked, Danielle shook her head, they then started eating.

"This is really good, you cooked it well" Danielle nodded her head, "Well, yeah, that meat cost 190,000 won.", "That price would be meaningless if it wasn't cooked properly.", Haerin chuckled, "It was just luck."

Danielle rolled her eyes, "But seriously, your hands are like Midas, everything you touch turns delicious. Where did you learn to cook?"
"I used to help the caretaker of the orphanage, cutting ingredients or seasoning them. The first family that adopted me owned a small restaurant, I used to help them a lot. When they died in an accident I returned to the orphanage and stayed there until I was eighteen."

Danielle gasped, "Oh I'm sorry..", Haerin smiled, "It's okay, they're nice people, I believe they're in heaven now.", "You were only adopted once?" Danielle asked, Haerin nodded.

"There was one caretaker who helped me with my studies, she also gave me some university options, I was interested in applying here, but the fees were very expensive so I tried the scholarship program. I was accepted and the head of the orphanage gave me some allowance, but I had to think of ways to get enough food to eat everyday because the money was slowly running out."

She stopped for a while.

"Luckily there was Minji who became my dorm mate, she often bought me food or gave me money to buy groceries." Haerin chuckled.

"Have you ever had a relationship?" Danielle was curious, Haerin nodded, "Yeah, a few times. But things didn't work out.", "Why? You're so sweet and caring." Danielle immediately shut her mouth, the words flowed smoothly without her realizing, actually she just wanted to ask why.

Haerin smiled at her, "You think so?", "Yeah, obviously." Danielle said so quietly that it sounded like a whisper.

"Maybe they find me boring." Haerin stuffed the last piece of meat into her mouth, Danielle raised her eyebrows, boring? What does that mean?

"But your life looks thrilling with bullies always surrounding you." Danielle chuckled, Haerin glanced at her, Danielle immediately paused, "Sorry, I didn't mean to...", Haerin burst into laughter, "It's okay, you do have a point."

"At first they felt proud when I won many competitions, but I got busier and busier with assignments and extra lessons, and they drifted away from me, in the end I just thought they were curious about what it's felt for having relationship with university's favorite nerd." Haerin smiled slightly.

"I can't fool around, I have a big responsibility here, my life depends on this scholarship." Haerin said again.

Danielle was speechless, what a contrast her life was to that girl's. Danielle was one of the children of the biggest shareholder in the university, she had been swimming in wealth since she was born, just a snap of her fingers and she would get what she wanted. She's always had fancy and expensive meals, Haerin's bibimbap was her first basic Korean meal.

She inherited her father's intelligence and her mother's beauty, women and men competed for her. With her title as the president of the student disciplinary committee, almost all the students were in her grasp, and the professors praised her. A perfect life.