2

The name is Adora. I don't really know why I was named so, but it sure is a misfit. Adoration, affection, love - those were the words that never existed in my life. I am invisible most of the time. When someone fails to see through me as their visions stumble upon me, their expressions change for the worse. Even if you scream out loud about body positivity and shit, no ones gonna act natural when they come across a plus sized, oddly pale, unattractive girl. They will give you that dirty look that I get every once in a while. The look has a mixture of disgust and intimidation. But guess what else I see in those ever-truthful orbs? Fear. They wish the earth to swallow them up, they wish to hide, to cower, to run away at my sight. I wonder why. Or maybe I don't.

The proof you can get about them fearing me is that I don't get picked up on. Even though I am known as the freak, the ugly one amongst the other inhabitants of the orphanage, not a single soul dared to look me in the eyes and say any word of profanity. You may be surprised to hear this, you should be. All other would. Because how can I be the only freak not leashed and dragged around in the dust? How can I be the only one with no cigarette burns on my arms and chest? How can I not be stripped and made fun of in the common room by both the children and the adults in this cursed place, even though I am the ugliest of all? These occurrences are normal here, me being the only exception. Either you collar or you get collared- that is the true scenario in the orphanage, terrifyingly so. Not that it bothers me much.

When you fear someone just because you do, your brain starts to process a probable excuse for it. It is stated that fear can be transferred from one generation to another, as memory itself, or some parts of it, is passed genetically, which includes phobia. But these children's ancestors had no chance of coming across me, if not in another life whose existence I am sceptical of. Then why do they fear me so much? Why are they so unreasonably disturbed by my mere presence? This question seemingly made them think a lot.

After a ton of intellectual labour, they came up with the theory that I am a cursed child. Whoever comes closer to me or becomes my ally are the followers of Lucifer himself. My face is ominous. If I am seen to smile by anyone, their death would be indescribably horrifying. There are also some other horrible theory, like I love to chew on human fingers. Like eww... I would rather chew on eyeballs.

These rumours, however impossible they sound, ensured me a very peaceful and undisturbed life. As I mentioned, I am left alone by most people unless they are new here. The new ones are either too shy or too friendly, so they choose to sit beside the girl who eats alone.

Some people, like Kim Seokjin, just stays peculiarly unbothered, as they have bothersome personalities themselves which nobody can decipher. Unlike oddly polite and unbothered Seokjin, the other person who stayed by my side was a very uplifting character, with an odd aim in life.

Kim Taehyung always wanted to become a vampire.