~I'm Sorry I'm An Idiot~(Atlas & Nine)

Yes, I know it's another of these. Sorry, it's just after re-reading the first one it is literally so patronizing to read, so think if this is a "redo." Itself more of a trama oneshot than a romance one. It describes times that Nine wished he could "rewrite." It has my own little twist in it, but I hope you still like it.
Warnings:
⚠️SPIOLERS⚠️
⚠️LITTLE BIT OF SWEARING ⚠️
⚠️BRIEF MENTION OF SUCICIDE⚠️
⚠️MENTION OF ABUSE⚠️
That's all, enjoy
_______________________
The first thing that popped into my head when I regained my memory was,'Why wasn't I better?'

And it wasn't until after I saw his face again that I realized why.

I'm not a good person.

I know that.

But I'd like to think that just maybe I could've been a better friend if I'd just looked a little closer and thought a little harder.

I'm not one to obsess over little things, but when I catch a glimpse of old wounds spreading across his body, I realize how badly I messed up.

It surprises me how well they were at placing them.

They'd always be in the place you'd never look.

And that cuts.

To the bone.
__________________________
'Atlas!'

His name rolls off my tongue as I race towards him, a huge smile on my face. His normally covered eye is ever so slightly exposed, giving me a peek of blood-soaked bandages that hadn't always been there. As if it were instinct, Atlas shoved the hair back in place to cover the bandage, not daring to look back at me.

'Nine.' His voice was soft and ever so broken.

'You were gone for quite a while, I missed you.'

He didn't respond. Instead, he simply put his hand gently on his head to hide himself from me. I wasn't one to take in the picture and notice all the new bruises on his exposed arms.

'I was busy. Experiments go on for quite a while.'

'You should stop going then.'

He froze at the words.

'You come back looking horrible! They must be doing some horrible things to you or something!'

Atlas' breath was visibly shaking. He looked around the room, seeing all the scientists were listening in to their conversation.

'They aren't doing anything Nine.'

Stubbornly, I continued to persist. I didn't notice the stares of hatred that were directed at him. I was too busy worrying about how he should stop doing the tests to play with me.

Selfish? Yes.

But I was young, can you blame me?

Every day it happened

More and more bruises and bandages.

But of course, I never noticed.

I was a stupid kid who didn't know any borderlines of wrong or right.

Best I remind you who killed Vesta.

'Nine, just drop it.' His voice was icy cold.

I got the memo, and I dropped it.

But they continued to glare at him, so he feared what was to happen when he was alone. He latched onto my arm like a koala, refusing to let go. I didn't understand, but I didn't shake him off either.

I was oh so stupid not to understand the situation. I couldn't make out the fear in his eyes as he stared back at them, confused and frightened at what they were to do next.