5

" L E T T E R S "

Marcus groaned as he plopped down on the Slytherin table for breakfast, "Now

Marcus groaned as he plopped down on the Slytherin table for breakfast, "Now. Coffee. Need."

Immediately a cup of steaming coffee appeared in front of him, and he took a sip, sighing in relief as he felt the drug do its job. 

Next to him, Mattheo raised a curious brow as he carefully observed him, "You're like another creature after coffee."

"Thanks," Marcus grinned lazily as he took another sip, slightly dazed.

Concerned, and slightly amused, Mattheo snorted as he shook his head. A few seconds later, Scorpius Malfoy sat across from them with a huge grin, "Mail day!" he exclaimed loudly.

Marcus groaned, covering his ears, "Shhshsh!"

"You're hungover already?! Its only been 2 days!" Scorpius whisper yelled, glancing around to make sure no one heard him.

In response, Marcus just murmured something under his breath and slammed his head on the table, arms around his head as he tried to block out the world. Scorpius watched with wide eyes, looking extremely concerned for his mental health. Seeing his reaction, Mattheo chuckled, explaining, "Marcus, ironically, isn't a morning person."

"No one's a morning person, Mat. And if you are, you're just a liar," Marcus's muffled voice came with a witty response causing both boys to roll their eyes, "I saw that!" Marcus suddenly sat up with a scowl, "What are you so happy about?"

Scorpius grinned and Mattheo scoffed, "He gets a fat check from his father every mail day for 'necessities'." he explained, throwing up air quotes.

"Guess we know who's covering the bill next time," Marcus replied sweetly, tucking his joined hands under his chin, "Thanks, Scorpy."

"Scorpy?" Scorpius asked, slightly disgusted.

"Don't like it?" Marcus frowned, before humming in thought, "How about...Scorps? Scorpia? Scorp Master? ScorpMan?"

"...Shut up, Marcus."

"Whatever you say, ScorpMan," Marcus shrugged as he pulled a tray of muffins towards him.

Before Scorpius could hex him, the sudden sounds of screeching filled the hall and quickly over 100 owls filled the Great Hall. Marcus glanced up, eyeing the Harpy Eagle that flew around the Hall twice before landing in front of him. 

The eagle eyed Marcus, just as Marcus had eyed it earlier. Marcus raised a brow at the creatures' absurd attitude and held out a hand, "Nigel, give me my mail."

The eagle, apparently named Nigel, let out an angry squawk, biting at his hand and Marcus scowled, "I'll deep fry you; I swear to God Nigel."

With what seemed like an angry huff, the eagle stuck out one of its legs and Marcus quickly untied the letters. Just as he was about to withdraw his hands, Nigel snapped at his fingers and Marcus jerked his hand back with a yelp.

Nigel took off with a mocking squawk before he could be reprimanded by the angry Weasley. Scowling, Marcus cursed the bird under his breath as he ignored the muffled laughter of Mattheo and Scorpius. Flipping through the pile of letters, he froze as he noticed a black envelope with a deep purple seal. 

The Duke Family.

Publicly known for investing billions into Monarch's for generations and, in turn, receiving exemption from the law. However, behind the curtain, they were known to be the most brutal clan to exist. Raising their heirs to be high-profile killers, no one could get involved with them without being buried.

Marcus had the opportunity to witness first-hand brutality of the family and knew for a fact, him being sent an invitation to an exclusive auction meant one of two things. Either Marcus was being recruited...

or targeted.

Marcus didn't understand why he was given this invitation? Why not send it to the Vitale Head? Or even a high ranking member? Pursing his lips, he slid a nail under the seal and popped it open. His eyes skimmed over the contents, and immediately Marcus didn't like it. He needed to report this before moving forward.

Before he had a chance to wonder how the hell such a dangerous letter was currently resting in his fingertips, a feminine voice boomed from across the table.

"I don't like you," the voice complained.

Marcus glanced up from the letter. Across from him stood a first year Gryffindor girl, with red hair and both hands on her hips as she looked down at him in anger. Glancing around, Marcus noticed almost all the Slytherins had suddenly quieted down, all staring at the Gryffindor in annoyance and slight hostility.

Turning his attention back to the girl, Marcus raised a brow, "I don't know you."

The girl blushed lightly before shaking her head, "I'm Ginny."

 "...I still don't know you," Marcus replied pointedly as he saw some first year students scowling at the Gryffindor.

"Ginevra," Ginny elaborated, or tried to.

Marcus's other eyebrow rose, "...I still don't know you."

Ginny's face was almost as red as her hair, "Ginevra Weasley! Your sister?!"

"Ah.." Marucs tried to acknowledge but his mind was still on the black envelope in his hands, distracted as he kept glancing at it, "Alright."

"I hate you!" Ginny suddenly yelled as she noticed she was losing his attention.

Marcus sighed heavily, annoyed, "What do you want me to say? If you're looking for a reaction, I suggest you walk away now and stop wasting your time."

As Ginny was about to argue, Baby Malfoy stood from his seat, "Lost your way? Let me help you- See that red table? They're all wearing hand-me-down robes, you belong there."

Ginny fumed as the Malfoy approached her, flanked by his bodyguards. Marcus watched amused as Ginny practically growled, "Shut up, Malfoy!"

"No need to be hostile Weasel. I'm just helping you out," Malfoy shrugged innocently with a smug smile.

Marcus burst out laughing, catching everyone's attention as he slammed a hand on the table, "Weasel!? AHAHA- Thats's gold!"

As he tried to catch his breath, Mattheo raised a brow, "You're a Weasley, Marcus."

Marcus paused before laughing even harder, wiping a tear from his eyes, "Right, that reminds me- I have to visit Diagon Alley."

Still shaking his head in amusement, Marcus looked away from a fuming Ginny, when a specific boy caught his eyes. Marucs noticed the boy was seated next to Draco's empty seat, probably making him a second year student. 

But that wasn't what attracted his attention. No, rather, it was the boy's curious and slightly terrified gaze which rested on the black envelope in Marcus's hand. Marcus watched intently as the boy noticed he was caught and quickly turned back to his breakfast.

Frowning, Marcus nudged Mattheo discreetly, whispering, "Do you know that kid?" he nodded at the second year, who was trying desperately to not cause suspicion.

Mattheo glanced up from his own letters and nodded, "Blaise Zabini. 2nd Year, I think- Why?"

"Zabini, huh?" Marcus muttered to himself before humming in thought, "...No reason."

Thanks for Reading!
Don't forget to Vote!

Stay Classy!
{ 1133 words }