Chapter 5: The Other Half of An Eventful Day!

As the audience cheered I sat there with my mouth open. My gut started to fill with butterflies. I stared at Magnus in horror. One of the staff members went over and helped me out of the seat and up to the stage. I wanted to protest but it came out as a small stutter. I was behind the stage now.

   Female Staff Member:" So what song will you sing? We need to find the music for it."

   Me:"I-I didn't even volunteer! I can't sing! Well I can, but I can't with people around. Especially in front of a crowd like that!"

 I peeked out of the curtains to see everyone waiting. I quickly closed it and held my head. The female staff member put her hand on my shoulder.

   Female Staff Member:" Hun, what's the point of life without taking risks or chances? If you can fight deadly people then you can sing in front of a crowd! Just have faith."

 She looked into my eyes with a serious look. It made me smile, and my confidence from earlier came back quickly. She smiled back.

   Me:" I will sing a favorite of mine. It's called Dandelions."

   Female Staff Member:" Alright..." she started to type up the song on her computer, then her face lit up. " I got it! Good luck out there! Oh, and it was a delight to finally meet you, Vivian!"

 I smiled.

   Me:"The pleasure was all mine!"

   Female Staff Member:" Now get out there and sing!"

 Then she quickly turned me around and pushed me out onto the stage. I was at first blinded by the bright white light. Then when my eyes adjusted I saw what seemed like hundreds of eyes staring right at me. I was frozen in shock. Then Magnus's eyes caught my eyes. His were the only red eyes in the entire restaurant.

 He looked at me with confusion and saw the fear I had. Then he smiled at me with the same old warm smile. The fear had immediately disappeared and my confidence came back. I smiled, and as I walked to the microphone I heard the cheers and clapping of the restaurant. The side lights of the stage dimmed into a deep purple. Then I got to the microphone and took a deep breath.

 Then the music began. Then, when it was time, I began to sing the beginning lines to the song softly into the microphone. My voice came out smoothly through the speakers, like my voice was the true voice of the song. Like I wasn't even singing and the song was playing through the speakers.

 I followed every word by heart into the chorus. Then when I got into the chorus I raised my voice to make the chorus a bit louder. No one dared to make a sound and interrupt the flow of my voice.

 I had finished the song and everyone was quiet at first. Then there was a roar of applause. I was in a slight daze. Then the same man from earlier came onto the stage with a microphone and stood beside me.

   The Man:" Wow! That was amazing! That will probably be the best voice of tonight! Everyone, please give another round of applause for Vivian! And we all wish you a Happy Birthday!"

 I smiled, thanked everyone, and gave a small wave to everyone. The man led me back to the backstage where I once again saw the female staff member.

   Female Staff Member: "That was amazing!"

   Me: "Thanks."

   Female Staff Member: "You should come here more often on Karaoke nights!"

   Me:" I will think about it."

 The man called for the next singer and the female staff member had to pull up the next song. The female staff member sighed.

 Female Staff Member: "Well that's my que. Again it was nice to meet you Vivian! Oh, before I forget, my name is Am- Amanda!"