Chapter 9: The Would-Be Prince Of Darkness

Cut to inside Chloe's home

Dan and Chloe are looking at a video of Debra inside the ice cream shop

Dan: How long does this go on?

Chloe: Three hours.

Dan: (wry laugh) That's the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Chloe: Yep. All-night froyo shop puts Debra there well past the time of the victim's death. Her alibi checks out.

Dan: So Debra didn't strangle Ali.

Chloe: Well, whoever planted the bomb went to great lengths to make us think Debra did it.

Dan: Why?

Chloe: I don't know.

Dan: We might actually know who rigged the car. Ronnie Hillman.

Chloe: The big Hollywood fixer? Yeah. A security cam caught her walking nearby, right after the explosion.

Chloe: This can't be a coincidence. Someone must've hired her for this.

Dan: I've been trying to build a case on her for years, and every time we've approached her, she's lawyered up immediately. Ronnie is a pro.

Chloe: So how do we approach her?

Dan: She's picky about talking to strangers. Definitely no cops.

Chloe: What about someone she'd never expect us to work with?

Cut to inside Lucifer's penthouse

(Chloe is helping Dan with a wire)

Lucifer: Do we get a code word? You know, for when you take her down. If so, might I suggest "monkey bottoms"? 'Cause trust me, I can work that into any sentence quite naturally. Tell them, Zara.

Zarathos: It's true, he can.

Lucifer: See.

Dan: You sure this is a good idea?

Chloe: Lucifer and Zarathos reached out to her and she agreed to meet them, so it's our best shot. (to Lucifer and Zarathos) And you won't need a code word, and you won't be miked, because she'll be looking for that. This is a simple handoff. All we need you guys to do is vouch for Dan as someone that needs her services.

Lucifer: Vouch for Detective Douche? Oh, gosh, this is gonna be harder than I thought.

Zarathos: (laughs) Detective Douche, I like that.

Dan: (Annoyed) Once I engage with her, I will hire her to fix a problem of mine.

Lucifer: Right. Well, if it's that stick up your ass, I'm afraid there's no one strong enough to pull that out.