Chapter 4: Summer

4 years later....

" Congratulations!! Babe" Fred says as he approaches towards me with a bouquet of white and pink tulips. " You cannot believe how proud i feel right now! "

He hugs me tightly. I smile back. "thanks fred"

My dad seems more happy about me dating Fred than graduating with a DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) degree. After all he works for him and seems too nice to be true.

I'm surrounded by mom, dad, Viv and Fred outside after the ceremony

I'm surrounded by mom, dad, Viv and Fred outside after the ceremony. It's nice to be around them after so long since last year felt like a bullet train for the longest. No sleep, no proper diet, no gymming and barely hanging out with my favourite people because of the finals.

" I'm so happy for you, my baby"
Mom says hugging me while dad and Fred are busy talking.

" I think it's about time you stop calling me 'baby' now" i laugh back.

"You did so well, that too all on your own! I'm sorry if we ever made you doubt yourself " She says holding back her tears.

" Stop it, Mamá... I'm glad you gave me a chnace to prove myself" i try to comfort her.
" besides, look who your daughter is now! Dr. Sainz!" i giggling with her ,looking at Viv behind mom's back.

Viv was there with me since day 1 and there's no denying in that. My emotional support, my rant listener and everything a girl would ever want as her bestfriend.
She is even here to attend my graduation program even when she has got a flight back home in less than a few hours.

Fred is nice, actually, TOO nice.
Never missed my birthday, even our anniversary,for that matter, bought me too many gifts even when refusing didn't work. But I, on the other hand, never open up to him and i cant help it. Im always on the recieving end but never on the giving end in our relationship.

We met on a family dinner party two years back. I had a feeling that our meeting had been arranged. This suspicion proved true when after the party dad approached me saying things like :
" Fred's a nice guy, what do you think?","He's from...",etc etc.
We eventually started dating when life got boring and all my friends weren't single anymore.
He was there for me, but something in me always kept reminding me about how long he's been under dad's influence. And that this relationship is concerning, at least for me.

I feel guilty when i realise i had been wasting his time all this long. The realisation hits me that I always liked him but never really......loved him.
Every time I think about breaking up things between us, this realisation turns me blue with shame and thus i keep ignoring this thought. And that's how its been since last year.

Before we head out for lunch, i excuse Viv and myself from them to meet with my friends on the other end of the ground.

I notice Mij and Rio from afar even with their graduation gowns on. They are chatting with a few others. I finally reach till where they stand.