3

He was like a moth to a flame as soon as those eyes landed on his. It was all reflex, his arm opening the door, his feet moving him in her direction. He didn't remember making the decision to approach her, it was something that definitely would have warranted more consideration, but before he knew it he was standing at her table, within arms reach from her.

"Hi." Her voice was soft and tender and immediately took him back to being wrapped in her arms, her skin against his, hidden from the world under the blankets.

"Hi." It was embarrassing how proud he was to have managed to utter that single word. The very act of forcing his eyes to hold hers was almost painful.

"Hi Mitch." She greeted his brother with a warm smile as he made his way over to the table.

"Hey Kendra, how are ya?" He could sense the awkwardness on Mitch's voice, the fact that Austin had led them to this position obviously as confusing to Mitch and it was to him.

Her eyes were laced with sadness and he really fucking hoped that was attributed to his grandfather's passing although there was every reason for it to be from his presence. He watched as she offered Mitch a small smile and head nod in response. "How are you holdin up?"

"I'll be better after another drink, you guys want anything?"

"No, thank you Mitch." She smiled genuinely at him. Fuck she was kind.

His family had always loved her, the second he had bought her home they had worshiped the ground she walked on almost as much as he did. And she had adored them just as much.

She had loved him, better than he could have ever deserved, better than he thought anyone could ever deserve to be loved, especially by someone like her. She had loved all of him, including his family and friends.

She had spent time getting to know each and every one of them and built solid relationships with them all. Even some of the cousins that he didn't care too much for, she'd managed to find the best in, find some common ground and taken an interest in their lives. She knew most of his family better than he did at this point and it was evident every time she was around them.

Eighteen months ago he had everything.

He silently shook his head, still not trusting himself to move or speak or look anywhere else before Mitch made his way over to the bar, followed by his entourage of cousins.

"When did you get in?" She asked and he was immediately relieved her words hadn't been 'how are you' or 'we should talk'.

She slid over in her booth, a silent offer for him to sit down beside her. His body began moving closer to her on it's own accord, happily accepting the invitation and sliding in beside her, taking the opportunity to get as close to her as possible before he had even had a chance to try and make a decision.
"This afternoon, how about you?"

"I've been here about a week now." Her voice was as rattled as his and he saw the way her foot was bouncing under the table. He knew it was selfish that he felt equal parts relieved and guilty at the fact that she was as nervous as he was.
"I tried calling to check if it was okay for me to come for the funeral..."

"I blocked your number." His eyes flicked quickly to his hands folded on the table in front of him. It had been a shitty thing to do, he felt shitty admitting it, but it was the only way he could think of to protect her from him.

"I figured."
They sat in an uncomfortable silence for what felt like an eternity. Silence with her had never felt uncomfortable before. They had never needed words to fill the void, there had never been any void to fill.
"Is it? Okay I mean."