6

Funerals were awful things, always full of family and friends and family friends that no one ever sees anymore. People making comments about they hadn't seen each other since the last funeral and how they mustn't wait for the next funeral to catch up again.

He had managed to keep out of the way as much as possible, sticking to the back of the crowd of people where he was able to go mostly unnoticed. It helped that his dad had made it clear he didn't want a scene at his father's funeral and was more willing to let Austin stay out of the spot light.

He had also managed to avoid her for the most part. She too had stuck to the back of the crowd, also trying to keep her attendance unnoticed by the attendees who may have just come for the last name, to try and get a glimpse at the deceased's grandson or his partner. Ex partner, he corrected himself.

His heart had been aching since he saw her arrive, how anyone could look so stunning attending a funeral was beyond him. She was in a form fitting black dress, black ankle boots and a black blazer. She looked so different to him today, so mature and grown and hardened by the world.

Well by him he supposed.

He hadn't meant to avoid her the entire time, he was still trying to stay in the shadows as the funeral came to a close and the attendees started leaving. The wake that was to follow was private, reserved for family only so he wouldn't have to try and hide away as much. Not that he minded, he had become accustomed to living his life in the shadows.

He had pushed his way outside and hidden around the corner of the church for a cigarette while the rest of the crowd dissipated when he heard her voice.

"Thank you, but I think it's best I just go."

"Please darlin'? It'd mean so much to everyone for you to come. You're family." Jodie was all but begging, he assumed they were talking about the wake.

"I'm not though, am I?" Kendra's voice was soft and low and enough to break his heart had it not already been shattered into a million pieces. "Not any more."

"It would mean everything to Rich for you to come. You know what a tough time he's been havin'. Austin's gonna fly out again tomorrow and Rich is gonna lose his son all over again. Please darlin', do this for him?" He could hear the tears breaking through Jodie's voice as she pleaded with Kendra. Kendra wasn't someone who was great at saying no to begin with, but she had always been a push over when it came to his father.

He heard another voice call Jodie and the conversation between her and Kendra was finished. He could hear footsteps coming closer to him before she came into his view. She hadn't seen him yet, she was in too big a rush to make her escape. He knew he should keep quiet and let her go.

"You should come." He spoke as she approached the limestone steps he was sitting on.

"Jesus! Austin! What the hell?" She jumped back, clinging to her chest.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been listening, but you should come." He butted out his cigarette as he stood from his spot on the steps.

He watched the pain take over her face as she deliberated over her decision.  She knew he was right, but it had been a big enough ask of her to come today at all. It was obvious just being here, being around him was causing her visible pain.

"Okay... I'll come for a little bit." Her tone was quiet, as if she were speaking more to herself than to him. He watched as she rustled in her bag for her car keys, looping the ring over her finger. "Um... what time?" 

"We're all heading there now. Well as soon as everyone's left." His body took slow, cautious steps towards her as if he were approaching a lost fawn in the woods.