•Chapter 23•

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

Bad

└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

It's been a few seconds just after the duo entered the mansion and you stared at the two kids like a hawk.

Blank gaze but piercing anyone under it as the kids nervously held onto each other.

Just then something started scratching from the inside of the box Tanjiro carried..or should I say..someone.

The eery noise coming from the box effectively spooked the two kids as they yelped and tried to run inside the mansion to follow the duo because apparently they trusted the mansion filled with bloodshed more than you.

You immediately stood up to go after the kids as you firmly but gently held them back from opening the door to follow the two boys inside.

They let out small gasps as you held them back with a nonchalantly eery look on your face which unintentionally triggered their fight or flight responses even more as they tried to break free from your firm grip with fearful noises.

"Hey..Hey! Stop struggling, you can't go in there!-" you tried to warn them as you refused to let go, your intention was to reason with the children so they would not go in and cause further injuries to both boys inside but the children took it as a threat.

A perfect description of what the children heard and saw was :

"Hey..HEY! Stop struggling, You're staying here with me and whatever is in that box and you both are the sacrifices." a very much demon looking version of you in their head that radiated a very suffocating aura as they screamed and struggled against your firm hold even more.

They had no chance to break free against your hold as they let out noises of distress, the other victims that were still resting looked at the scene with concerned faces as you looked at them with a blank expression that said 'please help me.'

The injured demon slayer was the first one to understand and opened his mouth to speak. "Hey..kids!..don't give her any trouble, if you go in there you'll be in more trouble!.."
He warned the children with a stern look as he winced at the feeling of his aching throat due to the volume he used.

"It's true..I've..we've seen what horrors live inside of that mansion..please just listen to the kind lady..." One of the civilians added as the other civilian nodded along with a stern expression. The window man was sound asleep next to them as he snored softly, unaware of the scene ensuing.

The children seemed to calm down at their words as they slowly glanced up at you then at the mansion's doors with reluctant expressions. You sighed in relief as they stopped struggling as you let go of their wrists.

"Thank-"

Just as you thought you succeeded in convincing the children to stay outside, your petty crow had other plans as it glared at you from the treeline and lunged at you with loud squacks, flying straight to your face and started getting its revenge as you grunted in surprise as you backed away and blindly tried to get the crow off of your face.