17

"Stop ignoring me, D

"Stop ignoring me, D. We really need to talk."

The microwaves display read three am. My roaming stomach had waken me up in the middle of the night and I'd tiptoed out of the bedroom to fix myself a bite to cover for the dinner I'd skipped. Apparently, Steph wasn't as sound asleep as she looked, and had followed me to the kitchen.

"Okay, talk," I replied, my back still turned to her, chopping greens for a salad. The last thing I felt like was talking, but I knew she wouldn't let go until we did, so better be done with it.

Her light footsteps circled the breakfast bar and stopped by the end of the counter, near the table.

"Why are you punishing me?"

I huffed. There she was. Always the victim. She didn't wonder if I was going through some hardship. She didn't even wonder if she'd done something wrong. She assumed she hadn't, and I was making her pay for an imaginary offense that existed only in my head.

"I ain't, Steph. Have you even considered maybe I just wanna be left alone for a while?"

"That's the excuse for treating me like shit?"

I snorted loud enough for her to hear me clearly. "I ain't," I repeated.

She tried to add something, but I cut her off, sick and tired of her twisted way of touching on things.

"D'you remember the last time we spoke? You were demanding an apology. Why? You wouldn't say, but you wanted it anyway. I didn't apologize, so now I'm punishing you? We used to say things like they were, but lately, you twist and muddle everything. Wanna know another thing I can't remember, like your last blowjob? The last time you admitted you'd fucked up."

She listened to me with a puzzled frown, like I was speaking in tongues.

"We used to enjoy our time together, too," she said bitterly. "Now you won't talk to me, or even look at me."

"What? C'mon! Used to? We went to the beach and had a great weekend last week! Am I not allowed to have a bad week? Do I have to be always fine and happy to please you? Like you didn't have bad days!"

"It's not only this weekend, D. It's been several weeks now! Ever since you got that promotion, you've been acting different." She narrowed her eyes, suspicious. "Have you met somebody?"

I snorted again and resumed chopping my greens, shaking my head. My blushing cheeks gave me away, but not like I could tell her who I'd met.

"Now you think I'm cheating on you!" I grunted annoyed.

"Are you?"

"Jesus Christ! What the fuck's wrong with you? You saw my paycheck yourself, with every fucking extra hour right there! When would I even find the time to cheat on you, even if I wanted to?"

"I knew it. It's someone at work."

I almost chopped one of my fingers off. So I snorted some more and kept playing angry. She wouldn't let go, though.