twenty.

AMARA

In the hours I took waiting for Dominic to come back home I've learned two things. Joshua Gray never gave up any information for free, and my father was absolutely going to get on the next flight to San Diego to come to check on me and there was no way I could talk him out of it. Not like I didn't expect him to be gutted I'd gotten into an accident and he wasn't there to help but I didn't think he'd be so moved he'd want to actually get on a plane. My father hated flying, always had and besides not having enough money to do it that was one of the main reasons we'd never gone on any family vacations when I was younger.

"Is your dad coming to live with us too?" Josh asked as he peeked over my shoulder at the screen of my phone. I rolled my eyes and locked it before tossing the device aside. He still hadn't told me where his father had gone and at this point, I wasn't sure what I could offer him that would prompt him to fess up. Whatever his dad was doing, he must've given him something big to ensure his secrecy.

"No, he isn't coming to stay with us and it isn't polite to eavesdrop. Don't you have something else you'd like to be doing?" I asked with annoyance. I loved spending time with them but I just wanted a moment to think about the disaster that had been the last couple of days by myself.

"Daddy said we had to keep an eye on you," Jamie chimed in while he eyed a pack of candy on my dresser.

"You shouldn't do everything your daddy tells you to do. Don't tell him I said that either," I warned, not that he would care either way.

I scrolled on my phone mindlessly for the next couple of hours while the boys lay on my bed passed out from aggravating me for half the day. I rested my phone on my stomach and listened out for Dominic's car pulling into the driveway. Trying carefully not to wake his kids up I quietly crept out of my bed and walked over to my mirror to get my slippers. Every move I made hurt and my head was pounding with the force of a thousand drums but I was too curious to leave the matter alone. I practically tip-toed down the steps, stopping short when I saw the knob to the front door begin to twist open. Dominic stepped inside, Dan not too far behind him, and frowned at the sight of me.

"You shouldn't be out of bed," he scolded me like a child. "I just came downstairs to grab some water, Hi Dan," I smiled at the man and he waved warmly.

"How's it going, Amara? Feeling any better?"

"I'm going to say yes because he's here but ask me later and I might tell you something different."

Dominic rolled his eyes and nodded toward the door, "I have a surprise for you. Here, let me help you," He ran over to grab my hands and led me outside with Dan's help. In the driveway were two cars, one belonging to Dominic, the same one I saw him drive off in every morning and the other—well, I didn't know who the other one was for.

"Dan got a new car?" I shrugged making him laugh, "No you just got a new car and she's paid in full."

Josh hadn't snitched but deep down inside I knew exactly where Dominic had been all day. Wouldn't have been surprised if he'd also made a trip to the hospital to pay off my bill too. I looked between him, Dan, and the vehicle trying to make sense of what I was seeing. The car was new, last year's model new and when I got closer to inspect it she didn't have a small dent in the hood or a stuck door. The air conditioner probably worked wonders too and the windows surely rolled down without me having to force it.

"Do you like it?" Dom came up behind me with his hands in his pockets, "Like it? Dominic, I still don't even know what to say. This is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." Without giving it a second thought I turned around and threw my arms around his neck to force him into a hug. It only took a second before his arms were wrapped around my waist, squeezing me gently while his fingers slightly dug into my sides. My feet were so close to being off the ground, Dominic leaning forward a bit so I could steady myself. I buried my head into his shoulder, breathing him in for a moment before reality settled in between us. That reality being none other than Dan himself.