forty-nine

AMARA

"Hi Amara, It's been a while since we've last talked," Mr. Dunchen pulled my file from a compartment in his drawer and cleared his throat. "You've been keeping up with your payments I see, I have some good news for you."

I tapped on my thigh and watched him anxiously. I'd been dreading this meeting since the last time we'd met in this office, only now it was under better circumstances. I could only hope my payments were enough to keep my spot at this school.

"Please tell me I'm keeping my scholarship and my classes," I blurted out. His suspenseful pauses were killing me and if he kept clicking his pen I was going to have to take the damn thing away from him.

Dunchen laughed, "Yes Amara you will be maintaining your scholarship and your classes for this semester. Whatever you're doing, I suggest you keep doing it."

I could only imagine the look on his face if I had told him that the reason I was able to pay off my debt was because I started nannying. He'd think I was lying, sometimes I couldn't believe it myself.

"I'd like to discuss my future at this university. This is my last year and I'd like to finish out smoothly. I have money saved up and I'm finally in a position where I don't feel like I'm drowning but I'm still going to need some help. If it's possible, I'd like to maintain our payment plan. If so, you would be doing me a massive favor Mr. Dunchen."

I was practically pleading with the man. Two more semesters. I just had to stay above water for two more semesters and then I could kiss this whole mess goodbye. I had no idea what I was going to do after, but that was a hill to climb another day. I also had no plans for what I was going to do with the rest of the student loan debt I'd racked up but as long as I paid my way through school I was satisfied. I'd probably die with this debt, but by that time it would no longer be my problem.

"I like you Amara, and I want to see you succeed. Your grades here are exemplary and I believe that speaks volumes. With that in mind, I will honor our current arrangement if you keep up your grades. This is the final stretch, stay focused."

And I intended to do so.

"Thank you so much Mr. Dunchen. You have been a massive help to me these past three years and I really appreciate everything you've done for me. I won't be forgetting that anytime soon."

He smiled warmly before returning his attention to the papers on his desk, "No need to get sentimental on me Ms. Jones. That's all I have for you today, until next time."

As soon as I'd made it back to my car, I pulled out my phone and called my father to tell him the good news. I was still upset with him but at the end of the day he was my father and I wouldn't have been in this position if it weren't for him.

And Dominic of course.

And maybe also Kosta.

"Hi, Mar, is everything alright?" He sounded tired but he put on his best for me. "I'm not getting kicked out of school so that's a plus."

"That's good to hear, you should thank Dominic for getting you there. He thinks highly of you, I'm happy you're finally working for someone that respects you."

I smiled to myself and started my car, "Yeah me too. Have you heard back from the police? Did they find the men that robbed the restaurant?"

He had to talk me out of flying down to Maine to help him myself. It was a close-knit community and everyone in the neighborhood knew my father. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to rob my father's store knowing how his business was doing. It was disgusting and I hated the fact that he had to go through that all by himself.