Chapter 10

Mina tried her hardest not to appear excited as Sahil and Noah watched her prepare for her ice-skating date with Khalil the next day. It wasn't that hard considering she found herself growing more anxious rather than more excited as the time grew closer and closer and she was utterly embarrassed at the number of times she had changed her outfit before finally settling on a cream colored skirt and jacket set.

She was pulling on a matching pair of knee-high boots when her phone buzzed with a text from Khalil.

"It's him." Noah said, picking up her phone to read the text he had sent. Mina moved to snatch her phone from Noah's hand, but Noah merely turned away as she began to read the text aloud.

"Don't forget to leave your bodyguards behind." She read, her eyes trained to the screen of Mina's phone. "I'll see you soon." Done, she finally looked up. "I'm assuming we're the bodyguards." She guessed, nodding her head in Sahil's general direction.

"I have to get him to trust me." Mina countered. "Remember?"

Sahil cleared his throat from his place on her bed, his forearms resting against his large thighs as he shook his head. Mina already knew what he was going to say.

"I have to get him to trust me." She repeated, this time crossing the room to stand directly in front of Sahil's figure. He straightened up immediately, his fingers finding the hem of her skirt and Mina fought the overwhelming urge to pull away from him.

"I'll be ok." She said. "I promise."

Sahil didn't look believing, but Mina was thankful that he didn't challenge her nonetheless. "You look nice." He said and, at these words, Mina pulled away from his touch.

She gave him a tight-lipped smile in response. "You guys should go." She urged both Noah and Sahil. "I'll be leaving soon, but if I need you I'll call. Ok?"

Truth be told, she wasn't planning on calling either of them, even if everything did go sideways. At least that's what she told herself, and she only found herself growing more confident in this decision when she finally spotted Khalil amongst the crowd of skaters in the park.

He smiled when his eyes finally met Mina's. The corners of his eyes crinkled and his dimples shone. He waved shyly, before pushing his way gently through the crowd of strangers and making his way over to her.

"Hi." Mina greeted him.

"Hi." He echoed. Blowing out a short visible breath he said, "I'm going to be honest, I didn't expect you to actually show up."

"Why would that thought ever cross your mind?"

Khalil tugged his bottom lip between his teeth to hide his evident amusement at her snarky words.

"Should I be worried that you're armed again?" He joked, instantly shoving his hands deep into the folds of his jeans' pockets. Mina's eyes flickered down to watch the movement, before darting up to meet his once more, and she cocked her head to the side as she warned him, "If you try anything you'll find out."

Khalil's amusement only seemed to grow at this commentary and he quickly shot a look around the packed park around them, as if he were prepared to confess his deepest darkest secrets.

One part of Mina wanted him to, but the other part was internally pleading with him to keep his mouth shut. However, both parts were ultimately silenced, her breath hitching in her throat, as Khalil lowered his voice and leaned forward slightly.

She could feel the heat radiating from his smile, no doubt the result of his awareness of her visceral reaction to his closeness. "Mina, there's only one thing I want to try with you." He finally revealed.