You Should See Me | Curt & Christian

Set in a royal, kingdom AU. This has potential to be a full-fledged fanfic, but I'm unsure if I want to pursue it right now with my current projects. So, for now, enjoy this short bit.

Curt is a knight, Christian is a jester, and Ivan is a prince. That's all you need to know for right now.

--

Curt grunted, sword in front of him flashing his vision with everytime he parried. As it happened, he made sure to push forward with his might, and by the end of the sparring session- Curt had successfully won, standing above his foe's clattered sword and barely breaking a sweat.

"You really need to work on offense. You know what they say, it makes the best defense." Curt said. He put his sword into his belt, and as the newbie he was training frowned, he turned behind him.

He stared into the bushes around them, ignoring the other knights who were watching and, hopefully- if they had any sense- trying to learn from Curt's victory.

"..Alright, it's getting late. If anyone would like to challenge me further, I suggest you wait until tomorrow." Curt announced, but not looking away from a certain spot in the greenery.

As the people dispersed, he waited until the area was empty before approaching the rose-bush.

"...Christian."

The leaves and flowers rustled, and a man with a jester hat popped up. He smiled, mouth opened to greet, before he paused to brush off any twigs that were caught on his clothes. Afterwards, he cleared his throat.

"Curt! That was quite a show you put on, you're almost making me jealous." Christian laughed. Curt rolled his eyes, putting his hand out to help Christian out of the plant.

"Is that so? What are you jealous of, exactly?"

Christian stretched, now on the pavement and glad to not be cramped hiding in the bushes. "That I can't put something on that entertaining. Just saying, we could perform together. You know I can put on quite the fight."

"As if. There's a reason you're just a jester," Curt retorted, "and besides, you leave Iv- the prince hollering everytime. It's annoying, frankly, trying to sleep and hearing that god-awful laugh. What do you mean you're not entertaining?"

"Eugh, but his family doesn't seem that impressed. They call my jokes crude, can you believe it? And I can't lose my job, it's my only flex!"

"Ah.. right, "flex." Well, regardless, I don't think they'll fire you, the prince surely has a few strings being pulled in the background. I'm sure he'll keep you around for all of our sakes."

"If he isn't incompetent, yes..."

Curt chuckled, "Don't underestimate him too much. We drag his name through the mud more, and we'll have knives in our back."

"If only, I'd be free from this travesty." Christian joked.

The two shared a laugh, and when they saw it was starting to get dark, they had to stop.

"You know, Christian... you don't have to hide around when I'm working. You can just swing by, the other squires are sure to enjoy your company."

The do began walk out of the training grounds, down a path leading to their resting quarters. Christian responded as they strolled, "Well, if that's so, maybe I can prove my fighting spirit against your men."

"Hah! It would do no good, they're all arrogant and refuse to learn. Fight against me, instead. You'll lose, but at least we can perform for a few seconds like you had suggested."

"How can I not underestimate our dear royal, when you so confidently underestimate me?"

"Because at least with you, dear jester, I won't lose my job and reputation."

They arrived in front of the manor where a few small buildings were standing around. Christian turned to the right, ready to head to his own chambers, but he did not leave before giving Curt one last response-

"We'll see about that, as you'll find wit is one of the most important qualities in my line of work."