016: im happy for you

VERONA
— chapter sixteen

MIAMI GRAND PRIX
opening ceremony

VERONA SMILED AS SHE REACHED HER FRIENDS, they were all stood back stage waiting to be announced. outside, the opening ceremony for the first miami grand prix raged on.

"hey, you made it!" pierre cheered as he spotted the blonde girl.

"only because i ran here from my fitting, literally ran!" verona had just finished her last fitting for the day at miami fashion week, which was beginning right after the grand prix weekend. "there was so much traffic i just left my uber and walked."

charles frowned as he joined the conversation between his two friends, "you should have texted one of us," he interjected, "i would have come to get you."

verona smiled at his generous offer, "thank you, but there was no need. what would you have done? cleared all the traffic?"

charles shrugged, "given you company on the walk."

"oh hi verona." lola, charles' girlfriend, popped up behind him and wrapped her arm around his waist.

"hi—"

"so how was your trip? i tried asking charles but you know how vague men are. i need details."

verona's brows quirked at the short girl's words. charles was anything but vague. he was like a girl telling stories; always taking the long route, giving unnecessary details and getting distracted from the main point of the conversation.

at least that's how he was with her.

"oh it was amazing! we spent two days in the city and two on a boat we rented."

"well now i'm sad i missed it, next time we should all go together!"

"definitely, i need another girl next time." verona giggled at charles and pierre's offended expressions.

"we weren't that bad!" charles defended.

"yea, you made it out alive. that's all that matters." pierre added.

"by some miracle that is." making the trio laugh.

"there you are." verona turned to the familiar voice coming from behind her. she smiled as max approached, wrapping his arm around her waist and pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"oh?" lola gave the taller blonde a knowing look making her blush slightly. meanwhile, beside lola, charles lips fell into a line.

verona's eyes made contact with charles' and while his gaze usually softened when he looked at her, now it were blank, emotionless.

"uh— i think they're calling me over there, babe. see you after." lola nodded and pushed herself up to meet charles' lips half way.

verona, subconsciously, rolled her eyes at their displace of affection, turning her head back to max. "you should probably getting going too. i'll see you in the garage after?"

max nodded and also leaned in, verona smiled and planted her lips on his before he walked away.

this left only the two blondes standing, awkwardly, across from one another. just as verona was turned to leave she was stopped by the short girl.

"i'm happy for you and max." she stated

"thank you?" verona didn't know what else to answer.

"i'm going to be honest with you, i was beginning to get worried that you had a thing for charles. i saw you two dancing at that party in imola." verona's brows furrowed, lola's tone had changed.

"whoa, i don't know what you're thinking but i don't have a 'thing' for charles." verona defended.

"good, i was scared i was going to have to have a chat with you, you know, to explain to you that charles is mine." lola's face had hardened as she stared right into verona's eyes, "so i suggest you stay away from my boyfriend."

"you can't tell me who i can and can't be friends with." verona towered over the shorter blonde.

"oh, i just did. and you better listen." lola didn't seem intimidated.

the two girls continued their stared down a few more seconds, verona shook her head and scoffed turning around and marching away.

typing...
oop-