023: thank you

VERONA
— chapter twenty three

TW: implied self-harm

MONACO GRAND PRIX
monte carlo, monaco

CHARLES BEING PISSED WAS THE UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY. there he had been, leading the monaco grand prix, but where did he finish? P4.

the driver in red needed to be alone.

charles sat in his driver room, door locked, head in his hands as he ran through the race in his head. that stupid double pit stop.

the monegasque wanted to scream, but stopped himself. the walls were to thin. instead he let a few tears fall.

———

verona had just returned to the ferrari garage after the closing ceremony when joris, one of charles' best friends and photographer, came racing towards the blonde.

"verona," he seemed concerned, scared even, "it's charles. he's locked himself in his room and won't open the door for anyone. he's really upset."

the blonde's face morphed to alarm as she turned on her heels and rushed to charles' driver room with joris in tow.

verona didn't hesitate to bang her fist on the white door, the urgency was present in her voice as she called out the driver's name.

"charles, it's me. open up." there was no response, verona and joris shared a look of worry. the blonde raised her hand to knock again but the door flew open.

verona rousseau had never seen charles leclerc so broken.

his eyes were red and puffy from crying, his hair was wet, he had stripped out of his race suit and fireproofs and now stood in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

charles' gaze first met joris' and then locked with verona. he could see the worry the plagued her but also relief.

the brunette said nothing but stepped to the side, allowing verona to enter. joris let out a sigh and backed away as the door shut.

now in the room, neither person spoke. verona scooped up the red race suit and fireproof from the floor where charles had discarded them and started to straighten them out. charles only stared at her.

the brunette knew she was waiting for him to speak first. he let out a shaky breath.

"it was that fucking pit stop." verona turned to look at the man, her eyes softened at the mention of the pit stop that ruined his race, "i- i could have won. it-"

the crack in his voice was all verona needed to shush him with a hug. the brunette let out quiet sobs into his shoulder as she held him close.

"it's okay. let it all out." verona whispered and rubbed his back.

"i feel so stupid. why am i crying over this? i feel so defeated but it's just a race. i shouldn't be-" verona's brows furrowed and she pulled away to look charles straight in the eyes.

"no no, stop." her voice was stern, "you have every right to feel what you are feeling right now. this was not just a race, charles, it's your home race and you were leading it all weekend long. there is nothing wrong with being upset. never ever discount your feelings, no matter how stupid you may think it is to feel them."

the brunette took a deep breath, his body relaxed, and he nodded. verona leaned into his chest, their arms still wrapped around each other, "i never want you to hide your feelings when you're with me."

the pair looked at each other, nothing else in the world seemed to exist when they're eyes were locked.

"do you want me to try and get you out of media today? i can be very persuasive." charles chuckled which made the blonde smile.

"i think you mean you're very pushy?" verona scoffed , she tired to look offended but couldn't help but be happy.

"persuasive? pushy? at least i get the job done." charles and verona both winced at her comment, "to soon?"

"way to soon." the brunette let out another laugh, verona could feel the vibration of his chest from where her hand was placed.

charles thanked the blonde as he opened the door, "you have to let me properly thank you."

"no, charles, you don't need to."

"yes i do." verona sighed.

"now look who's being pushy." she quipped and charles shook his head.

"you're not getting out of this."

"getting out of what?" the pair's heads whipped to the new voice. max watched the two friends expectantly. he had finished his media duty early and was told that his girlfriend was last seen at the ferrari garage.

"um.. the party tonight." verona lied.

"there's a party tonight?"

verona looked to charles, his eyes widened, "uh.. not exactly a party. just a low-key gathering."

"oh fun! we'll be there." max smiled. verona turned to max.

"oh no, we don't have to."

"why not? we have nothing else to do tonight and our flight isn't till late evening tomorrow." verona cursed his logic.

"right.. well then, we'll be there, charles." verona's mouthed an 'i'm sorry' to the brunette who just looked straight up confused by the conversation that just took place. "8 o'clock, right?"

it took charles a moment to acknowledge, but he smiled weakly and nodded. a dumbfounded expression plastered on his features as the couple walked away.

typing...
hmmmm whyd she lie.. 🤔