Chapter 28

When Flora had fallen back to sleep, Ghost messaged the rest of the team to let them know she had woken up. Laswell had forced the rest of the team to go back to the safehouse until she had awakened. Price had convinced her to let Soap and Ghost stick around, however.

The team arrived before the second hour had passed, eager to see her. She was still asleep when they arrived, so they all settled into various locations around the room. Soap was practically passed out in his chair, leaning forward across Flora's legs. When Ghost saw Price and Laswell enter, he held his gaze on Soap and Flora for a moment before letting out a puff of air and approaching them.

"Can I speak to you two?" He asked, drawing their attention.

Laswell and Price shared a glance before nodding and waiting for him to start. He gestured toward the door with his chin, "Alone."

"Sure thing, Lieutenant." Laswell replied, turning and holding the door open for he and Price.

Soap blinked open his eyes to see the door closing behind them. Before he could get up and investigate, the legs beneath him were shifting and he sat up to find Flora waking up and rubbing at her eyes. In a flash the other three men in the room were up and at her side.

"You came too?" She rasped, looking at Rudy and Alejandro.

Alejandro had been there when they carried her up the hill, and Rudy had been driving the car to the hospital. It was telling how injured she had been that she couldn't recall them being there. Soap wondered how much she did remember from the incident.

"Of course, we did." Rudy told her smiling.

"We don't leave our own behind, hermana." Alejandro affirmed, giving her arm a gentle squeeze.

"Where are we exactly?"

Soap blinked, "You don't know?"

She shook her head lightly, trying not to move too quickly to prevent dizziness, "I was cold."

Soap remembered the room that has been, presumably, hers. The broken skylight came to mind. That would have been her only view of outside. He felt sort of silly not considering that. He doubted Makarov had given her any sort of information. He felt a wave of anger wash over him at the thought of Flora cold and alone in that small room for so long. He found himself wishing Makarov and his men were still alive so that he could kill them himself. Make them pay for that.

"We're in Alaska." Gaz informed from over his shoulder, "It's autumn, so that's why it's cold."

She processed the information and nodded, "Sorry to make you come all this way."

They all grimaced at that.

"We won't hear any apologies from you, pequeña flor." Alejandro said sternly.

She didn't respond to that, changing the subject, "What's the date? I tried to keep track, but..."

Soap nodded, "November second."

Her brow furrowed, but she nodded with a quiet 'okay'.

She picked at the blanket on top of her for a moment, "I'm sorry about your men."

"I already told you, no apologies." Alejandro said a little softer this time.

"Did you find my note?" She asked.

Soap smiled, "Aye. It's a good thing we have the Ghost. Gave us a good head scratch for a bit there. That was good thinkin' on your part."

"How'd you figure out I was in Alaska?"

"Valeria." Rodolfo grumbled.

She looked at him confused.

"She's in charge of the cartel in Las Almas. Short hair, annoying." Rudy explained and Soap snorted at his description.

"Oh, I remember. I didn't know her name."

"She's never been keen on handing it out." Soap offered.

Before they could continue, the door was swinging open. Price, Laswell, and Ghost returning from the hall. Price quickly moved to get a hand on Flora, running one through the short crop of curls on her head.

"Good to see ya, pet."

Laswell stepped forward and introduced herself, "Hey there. I'm Kate Laswell, I work for the CIA. It's good to finally meet you. I hear you've been keeping my boys in line."

"You found my pack." Flora observed, "Thank you."

Kate smiled at her, "You're very welcome. I should be the one thanking you. You did the world a service by taking care of Makarov."

Flora fidgeted a bit, "Right." She looked up at Price who was scanning her face, "Sorry I took your kill."

Price couldn't help the snort he let out, "Don't worry about that, my dear. I think you more than earned it."