xii

a/n: the crack fic really comes out in this chapter my god

"Well, well, well," Todo said, looking down at you, arms folded across his chest, "The ideal woman almost died."

"Seems like it," you said with a sigh. His first mission had clearly gone much better than yours, as he had Principal Yaga supervising him. The only injury he had to show for it was a bruise on his left bicep, which you did not feel much sympathy for.

"It's a hollow sort of victory for me, to have beaten you in this way," he said mournfully, and to your surprise, tears gathered in his eyes. You blinked at him in concern, but he stood frozen still, staring at you and crying.

"Are you alright?" you said tentatively. He let out a loud wail and then flew forwards, gathering you in his arms and squeezing tightly. As you were still lying in a hospital bed, he had to lean down to hold you to his chest, your chin resting on his shoulder as he wrung the life out of you, his arms encircling your ribcage as he began to sob.

"Oh, Y/N, what would I do without you? You are my greatest inspiration, the reason I wake up and train every day, the reason I'm determined to win every battle I fight, the reason I'm able to obtain victory! Without your advice, where would I be?" he said.

"Advice?" you managed to say, which was impressive, considering how difficult it was for you to breathe in his embrace. "When do I give you advice?"

"Ever since I met you, I haven't even thought about Takada-chan! That's not to say that I love you or anything, because you're not really my type —"

"Not this again," you groaned.

"But how can any sort of romantic relationship compete with what we have? A friendship, a rivalry, a bond forged through the blood of battle and hardened with the fire of camaraderie! And to think, I almost lost such a precious thing! How can you expect me to bear it?" he said. You wriggled an arm free and used it to pat him on the back awkwardly.

"Hey, thanks, Todo, but I really need to breathe, so if you could let go..." you said. His hiccuping drowned out your weak protests, so you resigned yourself to remaining crushed for the foreseeable future.

Nobody questioned the fact that, in wake of what had happened, Noritoshi had wanted to visit you. What was a little strange was that Todoinsisted on joining him, but nobody was brave enough to argue with him or tell him he couldn't, so here he was, fawning over you in the infirmary.

The door creaked open, and a familiar voice spoke. The very sound of it was enough for you to relax, your shoulder slumping. Everything would be alright now; he was here and he would handle things.

"Todo, get off of her."

"Do not tell me what to do," Todo growled at Noritoshi, who was standing in the doorway, a single brow raised.

"It's alright, Todo, I'd like to speak with Noritoshi, if that's alright. We can catch up another time," you said. He immediately leapt back and bowed.

"I will take you out for a meal as soon as you are better," he said before winking rather obviously at Noritoshi. "Keep it PG, okay? She's still hurt, and I don't want her to be further injured because you couldn't keep your hands to yourself."

"We'll be sure to follow your advice, thank you," Noritoshi said dully, the sarcasm flying right over Todo's head.

"You're welcome!" he said before slamming the door shut behind him, leaving you and Noritoshi alone. He waited until the heavy thuds of Todo's footsteps faded before pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Sorry about him. He's a little dense," he said.

"It's fine. The less people that know, the better," you said. He smiled slightly.