xix

a/n: why have i suddenly become so inspired for this fic like i literally went so long without updating and now i think i've posted like five chapters in two weeks or 

Although you were technically his coworker and equal now, the admiration you held for Kento Nanami had never quite faded. He had even given you his recommendation, so he obviously did not feel like there was a massive gap in your statuses — or, indeed, any gap at all — but that did not change the fact that when you joined Gojo in his office and saw that Nanami was standing there, you immediately straightened your back.

"Nanami, sir, I didn't realize you'd be here!" you said before turning to Gojo. "And what was that crazy ominous text about, huh?"

"I'm the teacher here, so why am I the one you disrespect so much?" Gojo muttered. You gave him a look, because if you had to list all of the reasons why Gojo didn't deserve any respect, then you'd be talking for a very long time.

"It's good to see you again, Y/N. I hope you've been doing well," Nanami said, as polite as ever despite the typical squabble between you and Gojo. "I expect I'm here for much the same reason as you. Although, I'm not quite sure how keen I am on Gojo asking a child to do his dirty work."

"She's a Grade 1 sorcerer, the same as you, and you're the one who recommended her, so why would I treat her as any lesser?" Gojo said. Nanami gave you a sympathetic frown.

"I recommended her because she deserves to be paid more. That's not a reason for her to be getting jerked around by you and your inane demands," he said. "She's still only a second year, so please remember that the next time you ask her about something so serious."

"What's going on?" you said. "It's alright, Nanami, sir. I mean, whatever Gojo's about to say is definitely going to be something stupid, but I don't mind helping him out. He's done so much for me that it's only fair."

"Still, you should try to stay out of harm's way as best as you can," Nanami said.

"I can use my Reverse Cursed Technique now, so there's definitely no issue," you said. "Anyways, Gojo, get on with it. I'll show you the meme Yuta made for me earlier if you're quick enough."

"He's onto making memes now?" Gojo said in surprise. "That's big news."

"I think Toge got him into it," you said. Gojo thought about this before nodding. It made sense; Toge had been a master with photoshop since birth or something, probably, and he was Yuta's best friend. It stood to reason that his habits would eventually rub off.

"You'll definitely have to show me later. I asked you to come here for a reason, though, so we should go over that first. Do you remember what I was telling you earlier, about that special grade curse that performed a Domain Expansion in front of Yuji and I?" he said.

"Yes. It was definitely a worrying thing, especially because Domain Expansions necessitate such a high level of skill. Even sorcerers that can perform them are so rare, which makes it a big problem that there are curses which now can," you said.

"Exactly. There was recently an incident at a nearby high school that I believe those curses might be involved in, so I'm sending Yuji and Nanami to investigate. I'd go myself, but I have to go on a trip, so I can't," Gojo said.

"I don't recall agreeing to do this," Nanami interjected. Gojo ignored him; of course, Nanami definitely would go. Even though he was a rule-follower, he didn't have a great love for the higher ups, and despite his comically constant irritation with Gojo, he also had a lot of faith in the man, which meant he'd begrudgingly oblige his requests, no matter what.

"Why's that involve me?" you said.

"Originally, I thought about having you take the mission instead of Nanami, since you were a Grade 1 sorcerer who already knew about Yuji's existence, which would mean one less person would have to find out, but I realized that there was a flaw in that plan: because you're still a student, the higher ups would definitely be suspicious about that kind of assignment. Even a tiny bit of added scrutiny would be enough for them to pick up on Yuji, and I don't need to explain to you why that would be disastrous," he said.