xxx

a/n: i want you all to know that even though i am caught up with the manga, this fic and the idea for its ending predate whatever is happening rn, so i will be choosing to ignore gege on this one and shall continue with my original ideas — even if that may mean characters do/don't die that have the opposite happen to them in canon. hope that doesn't distress anyone too badly hahaha

The month that passed between Gojo's unsealing and Christmas Eve, the day when he would face off against Sukuna, was spent in a way reminiscent of your days at the school. Your mother had never been busier, taking a few of your cousins from the L/N clan to help her cook for everyone, as everyone had voracious appetites after training all day.

Gojo had been accepting of your choice to be a healer, so he allowed you to make rounds, checking up on everyone, advising them when you could and healing them when it was required. Everyone else, though, was subject to Maki and Hakari's grueling personalized routines, pushing their bodies and limits to the absolute max and then some. The people that you all were today had no hope of surviving against Sukuna, let alone fighting him, and so you all had to become sorcerers who were capable of that feat.

"So," you said, resting your hand on Itadori's arm, healing the bruises that Choso had inadvertently caused him, even though you knew Itadori probably hadn't even noticed any of them forming. "You're an honorary Kamo now or something?"

"It's really complicated. Actually, I don't even understand it myself, but I guess in a way, I am," he said.

"You could've been my cousin-in-law," you said. "Though I'm sorry to say that I'm not too broken up about the fact that it won't happen in that way."

"It's okay, I don't take any offense," Itadori said. "It makes sense and all. For us to have had that relation, you would've had to be in a marriage that nobody wanted, so of course you're happy it's not like that."

"Exactly," you said. "Thanks for being so sensitive to the situation."

"Sure," he said. "Anytime."

Before, he might've flashed you a smile to accompany that kind of statement, but now, he only gave you a tired nod, rolling his shoulders and then returning his attention to Choso, who had been waiting for you to finish with the sort of patience that only an elder sibling could ever possess.

"You're good to go," you said. "Don't overexert yourself, though. That won't help anyone, and it certainly isn't the way to success."

"This isn't overexertion," Itadori said. "This is just me finally actually refining my skills instead of relying on my natural, raw abilities."

"I see," you said. "Well, even still, please take care."

He did not make any such promises, and you could only hope he would at least try to be wary of himself and what he was truly capable of. Just as you would never be an all out brawler, Itadori had his weaknesses as well as his strengths, and these could not just be ignored or pushed through. You thought about telling him this, as you had once told Megumi, but for some reason, you didn't think Itadori would appreciate it in the same way. So instead, you were silent, deciding there was no point in hovering over him while he was trying to practice.

Kurusu was sitting in a window seat, resting her forehead against the glass when you found her. She had also been exempted from training — even though her cursed technique was the most effective against Sukuna, it would be too dangerous for her to go against him with only one arm, so she was supposed to be more of a reserve than anything, only entering battle if things went completely sideways.

When she noticed you approaching, she shot to her feet, scrambling to bow or show some other sign of respect. You stopped her as best as you could, shaking your head at her.