Natalia

Natalia rode on Grant's back in silence, worrying his fur with her fingers. Worst-case scenarios kept flashing through her mind as they drew ever closer to the smoke now visible above the trees. The wind whipped at them, making Natalia shiver uncontrollably, the cold seeping through her coat and sweater. It wasn't nearly as cold as the dread crawling through her body. Her research was safe. Redundancy after redundancy ensured the most critical information would be recovered. There was no reason for her to feel this way.

Then why? Her heart rate accelerated, her breath coming quicker and harder as panic set in. Natalia tried to tell herself she was just being paranoid. It wouldn't be that bad. It was ok. Everything was fine. But Natalia couldn't shake the feeling something terrible was waiting for them.

They rounded a bend and a small clearing came into view. A massive fire had torn its way through the trees and underbrush, leaving smoke and cinders in its wake.

Natalia slid from Grant's back, the din of voices in the background overshadowed by her own racing heart. For a moment, her vision blackened around the edges. Tears leaked from her eyes, blurring the world around her even more. She blinked them back angrily, but they continued to trickle down her cheeks.

"Are you alright?" Grant asked, concern etched in his features. His large hand reached out and rested on the small of her back, pressing gently. She wanted to lean against him, but she couldn't find the strength.

She nodded mutely and pulled away from his touch, numbly staring at the destruction. "Everything is gone," she whispered. "Everything!" She covered her face with her hands, muffling the sound of her sobbing.

"What was here that was so important?" a stranger asked. He stepped in front of Natalia and Grant, blocking their way.

A low growl emanated from Grant; a warning aimed at the stranger.

Natalia shook her head, trying to clear the haze. Grant wouldn't hurt anyone without provocation, she assured herself. "My sanctuary..." she choked out. "The fire... oh God, my tools. My roost. All gone."

"Is that it?" The stranger sniffed.

Natalia glared up at him.

"Fuck off, Slade," Grant bit out, taking a step forward and placing himself between Natalia and the man.

Slade crossed his arms over his chest, puffing it out while trying to make himself look bigger.

Grant didn't waver in his stance.

Slade sneered. "You think I want to spend my night out here, saving your territory when you can't be bothered?"

Grant growled again; his voice was dangerously low. "This is your last warning."

Natalia watched them both, frozen and unsure how to get out of her current position. Slade's arrogance was evident, but so too was Grant's willingness to protect her. For a moment, all thoughts of the fire dissipated as she focused instead on watching Grant and the stranger.

Grant tensed, ready to back up his words with actions.

"Knock it off," said an older man, stepping between Grant and Slade. "Both of you." Though his hair had gone completely silver, and wrinkles lined his face, his eyes were bright and alert. The family resemblance was uncanny. Natalia gasped as she realized this must be Grant's father. Which meant the younger man was his half-brother.

"Sorry, sir," Slade mumbled before turning on his heel and marching into the woods.

Grant watched him go; his face as unmoving as the stone she teased him about being named after. His eyes never left Slade until he disappeared into the darkness beyond the edge of the clearing.