Nine

"Azathoth," she said as she grabbed a wooden chair and sat across from him, "I found it amusing that the sounds of flutes are the only thing keeping it asleep." She looked away from Dominic, staring upwards towards the first floor of her home. The sound of Donnie's footsteps could be heard as he walked, causing the floorboards above them to creak.

"Almost like it's a child." She said.

She looked at Dominic confused. 
"You do realize, that when Azathoth wakes up," she waved her hands high in a circle above her, "All of this, will be gone."
They were seated at a small table that was covered with a drop cloth. It was faded a dull yellow from seeing too much sun. It stank of varnish, and old paint. It stretched the length of the table before spilling over and touching the floor below.

"We're told something different." He said.
"Of course you are." She replied.
"But the truth is," she spoke quietly as she leaned forward in her chair, "You will die like all the others." His hand, bruised, bloated and numb was useless to him. He wouldn't be using his gifts anytime soon, and this posed a serious problem.

How the fuck do I get out of this?

What angered him the most was how easily he had fallen for this setup. It was now very obvious why the High Priests hadn't stormed this house in an attempt to retrieve what they needed. The Necronomicon was one thing, but this book?
This book was something different.
Something that could destroy Elder Gods?

Outer Gods as well?

How was this possible?
The most anyone had ever accomplished with the Necronomicon was holding one captive, or trapping one in whatever plane of existence they currently resided.

But killing one?

Stall, you gotta stall.

"I call bullshit on this book Denise." He said as he attempted to shift his body in the chair. But the duct tape around his wrists and ankles made this impossible.
He than noticed Denise motioning to her Father.
Dominic watched as her Dad shook his head in agreement and slowly walk towards one of the dug holes in the basement floor. He stood above it, his hulking frame pausing for a moment before leaping into the depths of the murky water below.

"Where's he off to?" Dominic asked.
"He's collecting the book." She replied.
Her Dad resurfaced seconds later, clutching a ziplock bag. Dominic could make out the familiar shape of a book contained within.
"I told you," she said as her Father brought the bag over and placed it in front of her. Wet from his dive, her Father shuffled back into position behind Dominic.

"No place safer than here." She spoke as she wiped the water clean from the bag with one hand and slowly opened it with the other.
He noticed that both her hands were shaking.
"Nervous Denise?" He asked.
"Oh no," she spoke as she reached inside.
"When you first open the book it can be a little disorienting. Like a kaleidoscope of vibrant colors exploding in your eyes. It's hard to focus on the text, but when you do?"
Her face lit up in anticipation.
"It can be quite an experience."