6. Hazel

Hazel contemplated canceling on her friends and staying home.

After all, she wasn't sober, and the last thing she wanted was for her friends to find out. She had no idea what she was thinking, but then again, lately she hadn't been thinking at all. Her schedules consisted of work, college, coming home and getting high. The pleasant euphoria and relaxation that came with it had been helping her cope.

Her phone buzzed with another new message. She confirmed that she was ready to go, and with Violet and Daija nearby after driving so long to get her, Hazel knew that canceling would be a shitty move.

If I cancel now, they'll be upset. Besides, Vi and Daija seemed so excited when they called me earlier. I can't do that to them.

They wouldn't do that to me.

Finally, she made the decision to go, even though most of her craved to stay back and enjoy the blissful silence of her apartment for the weekend. First, she took a slightly-cold shower to start grounding herself, then packed a bag for the night since she'd be staying at Daija and Violet's apartment way out west.

She fixed her hair in the mirror, double checked that she had everything, then left her apartment to wait downstairs at the front before she could let herself think about canceling again.

Hazel knew that she should be happy to spend time with her friends, but since finding out about Daija's powers and the work her and Violet do now, she felt painfully isolated from them. It didn't help that they lived so far away now. Daija and Vi both visit once a week and sometimes stay the night, and she's grateful for it, but sometimes, she aches for the days when they all lived close together. She missed all of them taking up space in the coffee shop and spending hours laughing together.

But, at the same time, even if they were still close, nothing would be the same. Since the horrific night of the gala, all three of them had changed. Plus, Daija joining Simon meant that power was her life now. Vi joining Sierra's team meant something similar. While Hazel could never imagine herself in such a situation and respected Daija and Vi's decisions, she sometimes wished none of it happened. How much happier and safer would all of them have been if OpalSpace hadn't messed around with supernatural abilities all those years ago?

A horn honking snapped her out of her thoughts, and she threw a smile on her face as she approached the car and climbed inside, sitting in the backseat with Adrienne and Daija. Violet was in the drivers' seat with Sierra in the passenger seat beside her, holding Vi's hand and laughing as she flipped through the car's radio to find a good station.

"I didn't know all of you were coming to get me," Hazel teased with a bright smile, and even just being in the presence of her friends made her heart feel much lighter. She suddenly hated herself for even considering staying home.

"None of us wanted to stick around and listen to the guys' usual banter and bullshit as they set up the place," Adrienne said as she relaxed back into the seat. "It's only a matter of a time before Austin and Simon argue over something stupid, and Wylan's in his usual mischievous mood, so he's going to fuel the fire."

"Then Tony will try to calm it down, but he always ends up joining in somehow," Sierra added.

Daija snickered. "Poor Luca, dealing with everyone's shit."

Hazel had been rubbing the garnet he gave her in her sweater pocket since leaving the apartment, and she suddenly remembered that he'd probably want it back. "Speaking of," she started quietly, "Daija, could you give me his number please?" Once she had his contact saved, she immediately sent a message to him.

Hazel: Hi, Luca. It's Hazel. I hope you don't mind. Daija gave me your number. Are you going to the party at Simon's house? Also, I hope you've been doing well.