Chapter 23

You were in a happy mood the whole evening. Actually, you felt ecstasy. You finally beat Mary (and Yumeko again). Your last card WAS red. It was all thanks to luck, but you still felt good. Yumeko was a bit bummed out, and Mary seemed devastated. I mean, it was the first time she lost to you.

Everyone had started to leave the house bit by bit. You had the sensation of having just made the best party of your life, and you felt proud about it. Everyone said that they had fun, and you saw Mary in a special way. However, the party wasn't over. There was still a part of the party to be held: A party with only two souls.

—I guess I've got to leave now... It was funny, I ho- —Mary started to talk, but you hugged her stronger than ever.

You felt her heartbeat as you never did, and started to count them. You got to the conclusion that Mary's heart beats around 117 times per minute everytime you hug her. You saved that information for later.

—No. You don't have to leave. Stay here a little more.

Mary was speechless. She put her hand over your head, almost like she was patting you, just to move your hair so that she could see your face. Was it the first time Mary touched your hair? You found it special and unforgettable. She discovered a little teardrop on your right eye, even if your expression was positive.

—A-are you crying?

—No, I'm not! —you covered your face with your hair again —. It's happiness, you know?

For the first time, you felt that Mary had accepted a hug from you. In previous occasions, you felt that Mary was uncomfortable with you hugging her. But this time was different. It was almost like she was the one hugging you, and judging by your mood, it was probably an emotional comfort for you. You wanted that moment to last forever, but soon you realized that you were making a memory. A memory you will look back to in the future. You found out that you were living the nostalgia and your future self, and another teardrop came out of your eye.

—Did you really like the party?

—Thanks for not treating me as "the scholarship girl". That's all I have to say.

You knew that Mary would never say just "yes" or anything too mellow. In fact, you were sure that tomorrow she would start saying that she only did that because you were crying. Still, that answer was enough for you. You took it as a "yes", or at least as the yes Mary was able to give. With all the moments of silence, you started to wonder if she was counting your heartbeat too...

—Of course, you're not the scholarship girl! You're Mary Saotome. And I'm (Y/N) Hatonojo. And Hatonojo love- —

Before you could finish that sentence, you felt Mary's hand covering your mouth. With her other hand, she was covering her own face, trying to avoid you to realize how red she was. She soon pulled you out and stepped back, never stopping to look embarrassed.

—Can I please go to the bathroom? I really need to go.

—Yes, no problem.

Mary ran to the bathroom. She struggled to find it, but that was fine. After all, it was enough with you not seeing her. Just like the other day, the bathroom was an excuse.

You spent the last few minutes pondering about the hug. You wanted it to last longer, but you were sure that there would be more chances in the future. Then you remembered the famous sentence: Don't be sad that it's over, be glad that it happened. The only thing that distracted you from the hug was the sound of a car getting closer and closer.

«Oh no! Is it my parents' car? This soon? This can't be real...» you thought.