𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 10

She knocked on the door.

Once.

Twice.

"Enter", a deep voice said from inside.

Taking it as a sign, she slowly opened the door. Silence so loud, the door creaking made her flinch slightly.

She saw the Shadow Summoner standing with his back towards her, looking out the window. Not wanting to disturb him, she took slow steps towards him.

She observed the room as she walked. It looked old, very old. Of course it's old, so is the Darkling, she thought. Maps were splayed across the tables, shelves after shelves stacked with books, ancient paintings that she could only think of his ancestors' portraits.

At last she reached the Darkling. She followed his line of sight to see some children playing outside in the garden. They were laughing and running without any worry or fear. She looked back at the older Grisha to see a soft smile upon his lips.

"I assume you're here to ask why you're being treated different than the rest of the Grishas here," as if he could read my mind, he said.

I nodded, words stuck in my throat.

No matter how much she's heard from people back at the orphanage about the Darkling being a bad, old, ugly man, she could not help but admire how perfectly well-sculpted he was. He had the charms, no doubt. And the way he spoke was so authoritative and sexy.

"Done admiring me?", he turned towards me and raised an eyebrow. As if on cue, my cheeks started to warm up and I looked down to block him from the view.

"I wasn't admiring you, just thinking how'd you know why I was here," I tried to changed the topic back to why I was actually here.

"Dear krovopiytsa, I am no child. I have been living for centuries. Ofcourse I know why you're here. You're here to ask me why I've ordered servants around you, aren't you?", he spoke, walking towards his table.

I nodded.

"Not only that, I also want to know why there are people asking me what type of oil would I like during my baths, if they could give me a massage, following me around the palace, inquiring me about how I'm talking to and why, picking out my dresses for me, choosing my hairstyle for me, asking me what type of undergarments I'd like to wear, like who does that? And not to mention everyone calling me krovopiytsa this and krovopiytsa that," I stopped, realizing I was full-on ranting.

I took a deep breath and looked towards the Darkling to see him staring at me with a small smile on his lips. I quickly averted my gaze from him and cleared my throat.

"Yes, I'd like to know why you've ordered servants around me as if I'm a child that needs protection", I said and joined my arms behind me.

He looked at me again and stood up from the chair he was sitting on and walked over to me. He stood in front of me, towering above my figure. Only now I realized he's way taller than me.

I looked up at him to see his eyes staring down at me, with a glint I was not quite familiar with. My cheeks burned again and I looked down. Suddenly I felt his fingers beneath my chin, lifting my face up to match his gaze.

"I tend to listen to people who speak to me eye to eye. Now, tell me what bothers you", he spoke.

My words were stuck in my throat, again. What did he just do? Ugh fuck it.

"It bothers me that your guards follow me everywhere and your servants intrude in my private businesses", I spoke with locked eyes.

He smiled at me before dropping his hand from my face and walking back towards the window he was standing in front of when I entered the room.

"You need protection", he said.

An involuntary what made its way out of my mouth.

"You said my guards follow you around as if you're a child that needs protection. Well, you do. You need utmost protection. Maybe you don't understand who you are. You're an asset to the Grisha world. People would die to see you once now that they know there's a krovopiytsa present here in flesh and bone. They'd want you to themselves. They'll try to take you away and you won't notice. I'll order the guards to stop following you out in the gardens because you're safe there. But outside the territory, I suggest that you take my guards with you, especially Ivan", he said.

An amused smile spread on my face. He noticed this and raised an eyebrow.

"You find this amusing?" he asked. I could only shake my head and turn back towards the door.

"No, I find it amusing that people are trying to take me away. A few weeks ago, nobody even know I existed," I said and walked towards the door, before he grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him.

My body hit his chest with a force. The close proximity made me nervous.

"Ofcourse they're trying to take you away. After all, you're my equal".