Chapter Five (Edited)

The next morning I visualized the gossip pointing at Harry and talking with what seemed like discretion, though it didn't work, we could hear them.

- "There, look."

- "Where?"

- "Next to the tall, red-haired boy."

- "The one with glasses?"

- "Did you see his face?"

- "Did you see his scar?"

The children peeked out to watch, turned around in the corridors, and stopped on the stairs.

'They were total stalkers.'

'Joe would be proud.'

Outside all that, the castle was fantastic, there were 142 staircases, some wide and uncluttered, some narrow and rickety. Some led to a different place on Fridays. Others had a step that disappeared halfway down, and you had to remember it to jump.

Then some doors wouldn't open unless you asked nicely or tickled them in exactly the right place, and doors that were just solid walls pretending to be doors. It was also very difficult to remember where everything was, as things seemed to keep changing places.

The people in the portraits kept visiting each other, and Harry commented to me that he was sure the armor could walk.

Despite what others thought, ghosts were also extraordinary, perhaps I liked them because, in my other life, I had never seen one except in movies. So it didn't bother me when they suddenly slipped through the door they were trying to open.

Nick Nearly Decapitated was nice, and so was the fat friar from Hufflepuff. However, the one who became a nuisance was Peeves the poltergeist was in charge of putting locked doors and booby-trapped stairs in the way of those late for class. He also threw wastebaskets at their heads, pulled the carpets under the feet of passersby, threw chalk, slid up behind them, grabbed their noses, and shouted: I've got your nose!

'Maybe he stole Voldemort's nose.'

With Harry, we had unfortunately run into Filch the warden, and his cat Mrs. Norris when we were trying to open a locked door, which with my chicken mind late I remembered was the forbidden door on the third floor, he yelled at us for quite some time that he would lock us in the dungeons despite my and Harry's explanations. Professor Quirrell saved us, however, I already knew he was not as good as he seemed, so I dryly thanked him.

On the other hand, magic was challenging, it wasn't just waving the wand and saying random spells like an idiot, we had to study what each one was for and the correct way to say it and wave the wand.

I had already rehearsed several spells alone from my brother's books, so it wasn't too bad, except maybe for Seamus, who blew up almost everything. I took precautions with him and sat as far away as I could, I couldn't lose an eye or something.

We had to study the night skies with our telescopes, every Wednesday at midnight, and learn the names of the different stars and the movements of the planets.

Three times a week we went to the greenhouses behind the castle to study Herbology, with a chubby little witch named Professor Sprout, and learned how to take care of all the strange plants and fungi and figure out what they were to be used for.

The most boring subject was History of Magic, the only class taught by a ghost. Professor Binns was already very old when he fell asleep in front of the fireplace in the staff room and got up the next morning to teach, leaving his body behind. Binns talked monotonously, as he wrote names and dates, and made Elmeric the Wicked and Ulrich the Nutty confused and the most tedious people in the world.