Chapter Eight

After our near-death with the dog, we arrived in the common room with all our limbs. Hermione reprimanded us again, but not before scolding me, or rather questioning me.

- "I can't believe you're top of the class, I guess the teachers made a big mistake." - And with that, she left at a brisk pace.

Fucking jealous

The next morning, Mafoy looked at us in disbelief, he didn't believe that we had escaped the scolding unscathed. Harry spent the whole walk to the dining room talking about what might be hiding under the dogs. I just humored him.

As we ate breakfast, everyone stared at the hoards of owls carrying long packets in their talons.

'Good thing they're here'

They landed on the Gryffindor table and gave Woods a note. Several boys asked him to read it aloud.

To Team Gryffindor:

I opened my new shop in the alley and would like to sponsor you. So please accept this present as proof of my sincerity.

PS: In case you don't know, these are brooms for all the members of your team.

With best wishes

Owner, Magic Shop

Oliver seemed to freeze. The rest of the team huddled around and began to open the packages.

7 Nimbus 2000 lay gleaming on the table. Exclamations from the others rippled through the dining room and around the other tables.

-- "Lucky you!" -- Exclaimed a Ravenclaw boy.

'It's not good luck, it's called money'

Oliver seemed to snap out of his stupor and his face transformed into absolute excitement. -- "With this, we'll win the match." -- He quickly borrowed a pen and wrote a one-page thank-you letter, quick as a flash, signed it, and gave it to the waiting owl.

And as you may have discovered, I was the one who gave away the brooms. The team had bad brooms and we needed a change. I would be, in more appropriate terms, a team sponsor.

Professor McGonagall approached the Gryffindor table when she saw the mess. -- "What's going on here?" -- She asked Wood.

-- "A sponsor gave us brooms, professor." -- Woods's tone was overjoyed.

-- "Let me see." -- She took the note and read it quietly. -- "Well, I suppose I should check this out." -- With a wave of her wand, she bundled up the brooms and took them away.

-- "But Professor..." -- Wood and the others set off after her.

-- "Who do you think it is?" -- Harry asked.

I lifted my shoulders and looked around the Slytherin table, Malfoy's face was one of stupefaction and envy, and most of the rest of his house was. Marcus Flint looked like he was eating excrement.

Inevitably, our eyes met and I stuck my tongue out at Malfoy.

'So you see dyed blondie'

Woods gave us a practice lesson.

-- "Great." -- He had said. -- "I see what McGonagall was talking about, you have talent."

Harry caught all the golf balls, and I was stopping them and making points.

-- "The Quidditch Cup will be named after us this year." -- Wood was full of joy as we walked back to the castle. -- "Harry, I wouldn't be surprised if you're better than Slytherin and Ron, you're almost as good or better than your brother Charlie."