Chapter 6

If you like this story, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! Amber. 

After I got home, I went upstairs and started figuring out what I would wear to school tomorrow to get Jude's attention. I had to step up my game and wear something better than today. I stood in front of my full-length mirror, holding up jeans and tops to see what would look good. As I was trying to decide what to wear, I happened to catch out of the corner of my eye someone watching me out my window. I lowered my clothes and turned to the left to find Ashton smiling, shaking his head. He held up his hand, then motioned downstairs. I smiled and gave him a thumbs-up. I backed away from my window, tossed my clothes onto my bed, grabbed my phone, and headed downstairs to meet Ashton on the porch. 

"Where are you going? Dinner will be ready in a little bit," Mom said, walking out of the kitchen. 

"Out on the porch. Ashton wants to talk to me." I motioned toward the front door. 

"Oh, okay." She took a sip of her drink and walked into the living room. 

I walked out onto the porch, where Ashton sat in the seat farthest from the door. "You wanted to talk to me?" I sat down in the chair next to him. 

"You seem awful excited about picking out an outfit? You got a hot date tonight?" He raised an eyebrow, smirking. 

"No." I looked down at my phone, then peeked over at Ashton, sitting there with a smirk. "What?"

"You don't have a hot date, but you're organizing the perfect outfit?" He raised an eyebrow. 

"And..." 

"It screams date or trying to get some guy's attention. That's it! You're trying to get some guy's attention. The question is...Does he know that you're into him? Knowing you, probably not."

"What's that supposed to mean?" My eyes narrowed. I set my phone down on the table between us. 

"Gem, name a guy beside me that you talk to." 

"I talk to plenty of guys." I huffed, crossing my arms and looking away. 

"The guys behind the counter when you order your coffee don't count." He mocked.

I glared over at him, curling my upper lip, making fun of him. "Whatever." 

"I'm not saying it to be mean, but it's true. You've got to learn how to talk to guys first." 

"Ashton, what are you talking about?" I dropped my arms. 

"You've got to learn how to talk to guys, other than when ordering coffee and food." He got up out of the chair. "I've got to go. Think about what I said. See ya later, Gem." He walked down the steps and got into his car. He pulled out of his driveway slowly because his parents were home, and he'd get in trouble for peeling out of the driveway. 

I sat there for a few minutes, thinking about what he had said. The more I thought about it, the more pissed I became. Pissed that Ashton may be onto something, and I didn't want to admit he could be, in fact, right. I would never tell him he was right because I'd never hear the end of it, like ever. I forced myself out of the chair and went inside to put my clothes back in my closet before dinner. 

"Gemma, dinner!" Mom hollered. 

I put the last pair of jeans and top in my closet and headed downstairs before she hollered again. I walked into the dining room; Mom was putting food on the table that was big enough for a family of six. I never understood why she bought this big table after Dad passed away; maybe I didn't want to know why. "Smells delicious, Mom." I pulled my chair out. 

"So, what did you and Ashton talk about outside?" Mom asked, handing me the bowl of mashed potatoes. 

Did I want to hear it from my mom, too, or just accept the fact that Ashton was right and do something about it? "Nothing, really. School." I peeked up at her, hoping she had bought my lie. 

"Oh, okay." She took a bite of chicken breast. 

After dinner, I helped clear the table and load the dishwasher, then disappeared upstairs to my room to start on homework. I could see the light on over in Ashton's room, and without a second thought, I walked over and closed the curtains that I had forgotten to close earlier. Then, I curled up on my bed, grabbed my books, and started to do my homework. 

                                                                                       *****

Tues morning showed up faster than I hoped. It felt like I had just gone to bed a couple of hours ago, even though I managed to get to bed before midnight last night. I got out of bed and opened my closet door, hoping the perfect outfit would fly out at me. I stood there for a few minutes staring at the clothes in my closet, but nothing was jumping out at me, saying...Wear me. I turned and went to the bathroom to get my shower, hoping by the time I got back to my room, I'd have better luck picking out something to wear today while I made an ass of myself. 

I stood up from my vanity table, took one last look in my mirror, grabbed my book bag, and went downstairs to the kitchen for breakfast. I was too nervous to eat, but I didn't want Mom asking me a bunch of questions about why I wasn't eating, so I managed to force a few bites down. I grabbed my plate and told her I promised Chloe and Sarah I'd meet them for coffee before school and raced out of the kitchen before she could say anything in return. 

I picked up my bookbag by the door. "Bye, Mom. Love you." I hollered, walking out the front door. Did I feel bad for lying to my mom about going for coffee? No. Because I was going for coffee, I just wasn't meeting Chloe and Sarah there. So, in all honesty, it wasn't a lie. 

I pulled into the school parking lot, scoping the lot for Chloe's car to see if she was here yet. I knew I was wasting my breath looking, but then again, miracles could happen every now and then. I spotted Sarah's silver car instead a few rows over and decided to go park by her. 

I put my passenger window down. "Hey, Sarah, why are you here so early?" I took a sip of my iced latte. 

She lifted her coffee. "Same." 

We sat there talking, sipping on our coffee while we waited for Chloe and Ava so that we could walk into school together. I told her what Ashton said to me about talking to more guys last night. She agreed with him and said the same thing he did about me not talking to guys unless I was ordering something. I took a sip of my latte and sunk into my seat. Luckily, before she could say another word, Chloe pulled up beside me. I turned and motioned my eyes to the side. Chloe leaned forward, glancing over at Sarah, leaned back, and nodded her head. She was at my car door within minutes, asking me to walk inside with her. We looked at Sarah, and she said she would wait for Ava. I got out, grabbed my bookbag and latte, and started waking with Chloe. 

"Thanks." I sipped on my latte.

"Anytime." She smiled. "I take it she was lecturing about something." 

I nodded as we kept walking toward the front of the school. I didn't feel like telling her what it was about just yet, in case she wanted to tell me her opinion, too.