Chapter 12

If you like this chapter, please show it some love. Thanks! Amber 

The next morning, I was awakened by the sweet smell of my favorite coffee. I yawned. " Thank you." I scooted up in bed and took the coffee from Chloe, who was way too perky in the morning. Sometimes, I wanted to beat her with a pillow and ask her why she couldn't be like the rest of us other grumpy people in the morning. 

"So, what happened last night?" Sarah asked, walking into my bedroom with takeout boxes. "We got waffles too." She smiled, holding up the bag. She handed me a takeout box, then one to Chloe. "I'll be right back." She disappeared out of my room. I set the box down on my nightstand and took another drink of my iced latte. 

"I'm back with forks and napkins. Did I miss anything?" Sarah asked, placing the forks and napkins on the bed, then grabbed her takeout box. "I want all the details." She smiled. 

I took a drink of my latte, pondering the idea of lying to them or swallowing what was left of my pride and telling them the cold, hard truth. If I lied, they would be pissed that I didn't tell them, so I swallowed my pride. "There's nothing to tell except that he ditched me for our server." I took another drink, looking toward the window. 

"He did what?" Chloe got up off the bed. "Oh no, he didn't? Wait until school Monday." 

"He's a dick." Sarah rolled her eyes, taking a bite of her waffle. "I hope her breath stunk like a skunk's ass." 

I hurried up and covered my mouth, trying not to spit my coffee all over my bed, while Chloe fell on the bed laughing. I had to admit that is one of the many things I loved about Sarah, her broken filter. She wasn't afraid to say what was on her mind, no matter where she was. It usually flew out her mouth the next second if she thought it. And she never gave you a warning that it was coming, either. She'd just spring it on you as she did a few minutes ago. 

I managed to swallow my coffee without spitting it all over my bed. "Skunk's ass?" I raised my eyebrows. 

"What? Would you rather her breath smelled like peppermint so he'd want to kiss her?" Her eyes narrowed as she scrunched up her face. Then, she opened my takeout box, handed me my fork, and told me to eat my waffle before it got cold and nasty. We sat there, ate our waffles, and talked about spending the day together watching movies. It was something we hadn't done in a long time. Then, they called their boyfriends and told them they were spending the day with me, watching movies and eating junk food. They started cleaning up the mess on my bed and told me to get a shower. 

                                                                                          *****

"What do you want to watch?" I asked, walking into the living room. "Who the fuck let you in?" I asked, glaring at the back of the head belonging to the body sitting on the couch. 

"Sarah and Chloe let me in. At least they still like me." Ashton said, getting up off the couch wearing a maroon t-shirt and jeans. The t-shirt hugged his tight abs. I pulled my eyes away before he caught me staring at his body. 

"Don't flatter yourself." I glared, walking past him. "Where are they? We're supposed to be having a girls' day." I asked, heading to the kitchen. 

"They had to leave. Their boyfriends called while you were in the shower. They said they'd be back later." 

I rolled my eyes, inhaling a deep breath and letting it out slowly, hoping my anger would disappear. But it didn't. I don't know why I was upset; they've done this to me before. As for coming back later, that was a lie. And I, of course, would forgive them like I always do. 

"Why aren't you at the beach?" I asked, pouring us something to drink. "Hey, you never told me how your date went last night. You were home early." I raised an eyebrow, smiling. 

"Well, I didn't want to upset you more by bragging about my night after what Jude did to you. He's the one with the problem, Gem, not you. Besides, we've got to find you a date for the dance, and we don't have much time left." 

"You're joking, right? Obviously, I'm not cut out for this dating thing." I started to walk out of the kitchen. 

"Gem, you had a bad date. Who hasn't? That doesn't mean you give up. Besides, I should've never let you go out on a date with Jude, to begin with; he's a dick." 

I couldn't help but giggle, walking into the living room. I grabbed the remote off the table and sat down on the couch. After last night, I started flipping through movies to watch; I wasn't in the mood for cheesy romance. As I continued to search for movies, I could feel eyes on me, but I didn't want to return his gaze. "What?" The word flew out of my mouth a little harsher than I intended. 

"Nothing." 

"You never did answer my question from earlier." I peeked over at him. "Why aren't you chasing girls at the beach with your buddies?" 

He sat there on the end of the couch, facing the TV, trying not to look my way. "I just wasn't in the mood." He shrugged his shoulders. "Besides, we've got to find you another date. So go upstairs and get ready. We're going to the beach." He snatched the remote out of my hand, turning the TV off. "I'll meet you by my car in thirty minutes. If you aren't outside once thirty minutes is up, I'll come to get you and carry you over my shoulder." He got off the couch, setting the remote on the table next to the couch. "You better go get ready." He looked down at his watch. "Oh, by the way, Sarah and Chloe will meet us there." He winked, walking backward around the couch. "See you in twenty-seven minutes." He tapped on his smartwatch. 

I sat there on the couch for a second, wondering what in the hell just happened. I never agreed to go to the beach. Finally, I got off the couch, looked down at what I was wearing, and ran upstairs to change into a bathing suit and threw a pair of shorts over it. I changed into a lavender bathing suit and a pair of jean shorts. I grabbed my beach bag, ran to the hall closet, and got my favorite pastel-striped beach towel. I put my sunglasses on the top of my head as I raced around my room, gathering the rest of my stuff for the beach. 

I left Mom a note on the fridge telling her I went to the beach with Ashton, Chloe, and Sarah. I didn't want to tell her I was with Ashton because she would ask questions if Ashton and I were together. Even though she knew we weren't together, she'd still start with the questions about how we should start dating. I looked down at my smartwatch and saw it was almost noon, realizing she'd be home any minute. I grabbed my bag and ran out of the house, locking the door behind me. 

"I thought you were going to try and ditch me." Ashton laughed, walking down his porch steps. 

"Would you have let me?" I asked, walking across my yard toward his car. 

"No. I would've walked into the house and carried you over my shoulder." He unlocked his car, tossing his duffle bag in the backseat. "Let's go find you a date."