Chapter 31

Rhys was waiting for me right outside the school doors. "I was beginning to think you stood me up?" He raised an eyebrow, smirking. 

"I'm sorry. Chloe stopped me at my locker." I stepped down off the top step. "Have you been to Sweet Escape?" 

"I've been once with..." His eyes darted out toward the parking lot. 

"Rhys, you can tell me you've been with another girl. It's not like we're dating or anything." I giggled. I continued to walk down the steps. "Who's driving?" I paused on the bottom step. 

"I'll drive." He motioned to his car to the left. "So, what kind of coffee do you like, Gemma?" 

"Anything cold." 

"Cold?" 

"Yeah...I don't like hot coffee. I know, it's strange." I grabbed my sunglasses out of my bag and put them on. "Let me guess, you like hot coffee?" 

"I like lattes...hot." He smiled. 

"I knew it." I laughed, walking toward the red car he motioned to a few minutes ago. I paused a few steps in front of the shiny black car until I heard it beep, letting me know he had unlocked it. I stared at the shiny car, wondering what it was about guys and shiny-looking sports cars. Guess that was one of life's mysteries I would never figure out. Rhys unlocked the car and walked around to get in the driver's seat. I opened the passenger door and slid down into the seat. The smell of new leather filled the car. I looked at the unscuffed dash and the somewhat clean floormats, then placed my purse and book by my feet. Rhys glanced down and noticed my feet were crowded, so he took my book bag and put it in the backseat. 

"Do you have a certain time you have to be home?" He asked, pulling out of the parking spot. 

"No, but I'll text my mom and let her know I'll be home later." I grabbed my phone out of my purse. He didn't need to know that most nights I'd spent alone while Mom was out with friends or on a date with some guy. I wasn't ready to share that part of my life with him. I swiped my phone one and let my fingers glide across the screen, letting her know I would be home later. And, of course, she wasn't home and told me to have fun. I turned toward the window and rolled my eyes in frustration—the frustration of always being home alone, cooking for myself. 

"Everything good?" Rhys asked. 

"Uh...Yeah." I dropped my phone down in my purse. "So, what kind of coffee are you going to get?" 

"I thought I'd be adventurous and try something cold." He glanced over at me, smiling. 

"Cold? Do you think you're ready for that?" I laughed. 

"I guess we'll find out." He pulled into Sweet Escape. He drove to the back of the parking lot and backed into a parking spot. "You can leave your purse in the car if you want; I'll pay for the drinks." He motioned to the back as he opened the door. 

"I'll take it with me." I opened the door and got out, and my eyes found Ashton's car a few rows over, which meant he was here with Claudia. He never came here by himself. 

Rhys asked me if everything was all right as he walked to the car's front. I shook my head yes and walked around to join him. We walked to the front of Sweet Escape, and just as I was about to reach for the door, he opened it for me, something many guys hadn't done for me. I pulled my purse strap up on my shoulder, told Rhys thank you, and walked inside Sweet Escape. I paused inside and waited for him to walk in before heading to the counter. I focused on the menu above the counter so I wouldn't find myself in an awkward situation with Claudia. I heard her laughing a few feet away. The laugh almost sounded evil, if there was such a thing. And that was when I couldn't fight it any longer and had to peek over there to see if my mind was playing tricks on me or if she was planning something diabolical. If I had to choose, I'd say she was planning my demise. I wanted to look over there, but I knew Claudia would be in my face the minute I did, spewing some bullshit about me wanting Ashton. We were a couple of steps away from the counter and almost in the clear when it happened. 

"You two here together?" Claudia asked. 

I rolled my eyes and turned around to face her. "Why do you care? Aren't you supposed to be dating Ashton?" I leaned to the side, looking around the coffee shop for him. 

"He went outside to get my purse for me." Her sarcastic smile widened, and her eyes narrowed. She started to say something when a chime echoed, letting the baristas know someone had walked through the door. Claudia's eyes flashed over her shoulder toward the door; her shoulders dropped in relief when she saw it wasn't Ashton. 

"What, you afraid he'll catch you over here harassing me...Again?" 

"Kiss my ass, Gemma. It's just a matter of minutes before Rhys dumps you like the others." She snubbed her nose at me, then turned and walked away before Ashton caught her talking to me.

"Wow, she really is a fuckin bitch." Rhys blurted out. 

A giggle escaped my mouth before I could stop myself. I pressed my lips together and lowered my head for a minute. 

"I know you're laughing," Rhys said, close to my right ear. 

I raised my head. "No." I started walking to the counter. 

"Right..." He laughed. "What do you want to drink?"

"Hmm..." I glanced up at the menu. "Well, you know it's going to be something cold." I smiled, glancing over at Rhys, who was looking at the menu. 

The barista walked up, not paying attention when she asked if we were ready to order, tapping the register screen. She placed her hand on the register, looked up, and smiled when her eyes met Rhys's. She told him she'd gladly offer drink suggestions if he were unsure what to order. I shifted my weight, tilting my head, glaring at her even though she was unaware I was standing beside him. I could've been standing there making faces or flipping her off, and she wouldn't have noticed. I might as well have been invisible at this point.

Rhys ignored her flirting, turned to me, and asked. "What do you think I should get?" 

"Huh?" I flinched from being caught off guard. 

"What kind of coffee should I try?" He motioned to the menu. 

I blinked, then glanced up at the menu. "Well, you said you wanted to try something new." I smiled, not taking my eyes off the menu. "How about...An iced Caramel Mocha?" I glanced over at Rhys, who stood there staring at me with a slight smile. "I'll order it for you." I turned toward the barista, whose smile disappeared when she noticed her flirtatious advances went unnoticed. She said our drinks would be out shortly. I wanted to sit as far away from Claudia and her friends as possible, but the only table available was right behind them. Rhys and I walked past Claudia and slid into the booth behind them. 

The door opened, and Ashton walked through with Claudia's purse in his hand. He paused briefly a few feet in front of our booth with such hurt in his eyes; he nodded and then walked over to Claudia. I turned to the right, about to say something to him when the barista walked up with our drinks. 

"Would you like to go for a drive?" Rhys asked, picking his drink up off the table. "Okay...Iced lattes are better." 

"Sorry, what was that?" I laughed, taking a sip of my drink. 

"Iced lattes are better." He smirked. "C'Mon, let's get out of here." He slid out of the booth, grabbing his drink. 

"Okay." I slid out of the booth and grabbed my purse and latte. Rhys stepped to the side, letting me lead the way to the door. I reached for the door, and my hand brushed against Rhys's as he grabbed the door handle to open the door for me. "Thank you." I smiled.