Chapter 46

The bell rang at the end of the day, letting us know we'd survived another day. I loathed the library and last-period Chemistry, where I had to be around Rhys. I admit most of the time was spent daydreaming about punching him in his smug face. I valued my free time at lunch and didn't feel like being in detention, suspended, or expelled from school. He wasn't worth the trouble. 

"Are you ready?" Ashton asked, leaning against the wall across from chemistry and glancing at his phone. 

"Ready for what?" My brows furrowed. 

"The beach, silly. Remember, I told you about it after Math this morning. He pushed the button on the side of his phone, then shoved it in his front pocket. "Do you need to go to your locker first?" He stepped away from the wall, standing in the middle of the hall, letting kids rush past him. His eyes held my gaze even as girls walked by, trying to get his attention. There was something about how he looked at me that was different. It wasn't an ordinary look a guy would give a friend. I couldn't describe the look because guys never noticed me before. Then again, I could be imagining things because of the bad lighting in the hall. 

"You okay?" I managed to walk to the center of the hall between a couple of groups of kids, flying down the hall to get to the entrance so they could leave for the day. 

He blinked a couple of times, lowering his head. "Huh...Yeah. Why don't you meet me outside after you go to your locker?" He turned, rubbing the back of his neck as he headed down the hall and around the corner. I stood there for a few seconds, staring in the direction he disappeared, trying to figure out what had just happened. 

I snapped out of my daze, glancing around the hall, realizing I was the only one in it. I started to freak out by thinking about eighties horror movies where the girl was alone in a school. I pulled the books tighter to my chest, my eyes shifting from side to side as the deafening silence echoed throughout the hall. I jumped, almost dropping my books, when a teacher opened their door down the hall, helping me snap out of it. I turned, beelining for my locker, hoping Ashton was still outside waiting for me. 

I took a deep breath and pushed open the front door to the school. "Sorry. I hope I didn't take too long." I stepped forward, letting the door slam shut behind me. 

"Nope," Ashton said, not taking his eyes off his phone. "Are you ready?" He stood up from sitting on the concrete ledge. "Do you want to get something to drink first?" 

"I thought we were getting coffee?" I started walking to the parking lot, pausing when I realized I had no idea where Ashton had parked. I scanned the parking lot for any signs of Claudia and her minions. Luckily, they had already left and probably went to Sweet Escape. Ashton joined me at the edge of the sidewalk, peeking over at me. The awkwardness between us could've been cut with a knife. I couldn't take it anymore. "Where did you park?" I stepped down off the curb, waiting for his response before taking another step. 

"You don't remember where we parked, Gem?" He chuckled, pointing to the back of the parking lot. 

I had forgotten that I rode to school with him this morning. I felt like a super idiot. "I forgot." I shrugged. 

"It's okay. You're used to driving yourself." He smiled, walking past me toward his car. "Hurry up." He held up his hand, motioning me along. I found my eyes had drifted to his ass as he continued to walk across the empty lot. Ashton unlocked the car, opened the driver's side door, and rested his arms on the door and edge of the roof, looking crazy hot. His hair was a little messed up on top, and his blue eyes were causing a meltdown. It wasn't a bad meltdown, but one where I wanted to rip his clothes off.  "You coming or not?" He smiled, sliding into the seat.